Feb 10, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
When the Nets roll into Brooklyn next season, things will be different.
Off the court, at least. (On the court remains to be seen.) The Nets are coming to the nation’s largest market in a new building and they are looking to make a splash.
There will be changes — and they will have Jay-Z’s flair.
Jay-Z is a minority owner of the team and cultural icon and tastemaker. The long-overlooked Nets are trying to cash in on that style to provide a higher profile in Brooklyn, reports the Wall Street Journal.
The Nets are celebrating the role that he’s played in everything from revamping the logo (“He’s refreshed it,” [Nets CEO Brett] Yormark said) to designing new uniforms (“His fingerprints are all over it”) to coming up with a new color scheme (“A bold redirection”), all of which the team plans to unveil this spring.
In addition, the Nets are set to begin marketing 11 luxury suites that will be known as “The Vault at Barclays Center,” a small, high-end space on the event level of the arena. Yes, Jay-Z chose the forks—in addition to offering his input on the Champagne ($300 bottles of Armand de Brignac), the layout (asymmetrical) and much of the décor (lots of black and shimmering metallics).
The Vault will have its own entrance, owners get 10 front row tickets to every event, and they have their own private bar (done in Armand de Brignac style). All for just a cool $550,000 a year. Basically, if you have to ask you can’t afford it (and you’re not cool enough anyway).
By the way, Jay-Z is opening the Barclays Center with a series of concerts.
The Nets need something to give them standing when they get to Brooklyn. Jay-Z does that. So would Dwight Howard, but that’s another matter.
- Report: Bobcats changing name back to Hornets 0
- Dwyane Wade grants wish, shows up at girl’s senior prom 4
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 33
- Report: Vinny Del Negro to meet with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling this weekend 3
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose 33
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay