Feb 9, 2012, 7:24 PM EST
The fans picked the five starters, but this week the coaches voted to name the reserves to the All-Star Game in Orlando.
And the coaches played it safe. They went with the old names they new not the future stars. They went with veteran Joe Johnson and left out Rajon Rondo. They left out Paul Millsap and put in Dirk Nowitzki — who admitted he is not having an All-Star season. They made some good but some safe choices, leaving out guys who deserve the spot. We will have some analysis coming.
Here are the selections
Eastern Conference reserves: Chris Bosh (a must), Joe Johnson, Roy Hibbert (first time, good call as he is the second best five in the East), Paul Pierce (deserved, having great year), Deron Williams (three straight years), Luol Deng (first time), Andre Iguodala (well deserved, need to represent the Sixers).
Starters: Derrick Rose, Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Dwight Howard.
Snubbed: Rajon Rondo, Josh Smith, Danny Granger, Ray Allen, Tyson Chandler, Kyrie Irving, Greg Monroe, Anderson Varejao, Kevin Garnett, Ryan Anderson.
Western Conference reserves: Kevin Love (a must), LaMarcus Aldridge (first time but also a must), Russell Westbrook (another gimme), Dirk Nowitzki (11th straight All-Star games), Tony Parker (earned it the last week), Steve Nash (um… not loving it), Marc Gasol (first time but a good call as the second best center in the West).
Starters: Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Andrew Bynum
Snubbed: Paul Millsap, Pau Gasol (not having his best year but still formidable), Kyle Lowry, James Harden, Monta Ellis, Rudy Gay, Ricky Rubio, the entire Denver Nuggets team, which is second in the West but without an All-Star
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (44)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)