Feb 9, 2012, 7:24 PM EDT
The fans picked the five starters, but this week the coaches voted to name the reserves to the All-Star Game in Orlando.
And the coaches played it safe. They went with the old names they new not the future stars. They went with veteran Joe Johnson and left out Rajon Rondo. They left out Paul Millsap and put in Dirk Nowitzki — who admitted he is not having an All-Star season. They made some good but some safe choices, leaving out guys who deserve the spot. We will have some analysis coming.
Here are the selections
Eastern Conference reserves: Chris Bosh (a must), Joe Johnson, Roy Hibbert (first time, good call as he is the second best five in the East), Paul Pierce (deserved, having great year), Deron Williams (three straight years), Luol Deng (first time), Andre Iguodala (well deserved, need to represent the Sixers).
Starters: Derrick Rose, Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Dwight Howard.
Snubbed: Rajon Rondo, Josh Smith, Danny Granger, Ray Allen, Tyson Chandler, Kyrie Irving, Greg Monroe, Anderson Varejao, Kevin Garnett, Ryan Anderson.
Western Conference reserves: Kevin Love (a must), LaMarcus Aldridge (first time but also a must), Russell Westbrook (another gimme), Dirk Nowitzki (11th straight All-Star games), Tony Parker (earned it the last week), Steve Nash (um… not loving it), Marc Gasol (first time but a good call as the second best center in the West).
Starters: Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Andrew Bynum
Snubbed: Paul Millsap, Pau Gasol (not having his best year but still formidable), Kyle Lowry, James Harden, Monta Ellis, Rudy Gay, Ricky Rubio, the entire Denver Nuggets team, which is second in the West but without an All-Star
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61