Feb 9, 2012, 7:24 PM EDT
The fans picked the five starters, but this week the coaches voted to name the reserves to the All-Star Game in Orlando.
And the coaches played it safe. They went with the old names they new not the future stars. They went with veteran Joe Johnson and left out Rajon Rondo. They left out Paul Millsap and put in Dirk Nowitzki — who admitted he is not having an All-Star season. They made some good but some safe choices, leaving out guys who deserve the spot. We will have some analysis coming.
Here are the selections
Eastern Conference reserves: Chris Bosh (a must), Joe Johnson, Roy Hibbert (first time, good call as he is the second best five in the East), Paul Pierce (deserved, having great year), Deron Williams (three straight years), Luol Deng (first time), Andre Iguodala (well deserved, need to represent the Sixers).
Starters: Derrick Rose, Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Dwight Howard.
Snubbed: Rajon Rondo, Josh Smith, Danny Granger, Ray Allen, Tyson Chandler, Kyrie Irving, Greg Monroe, Anderson Varejao, Kevin Garnett, Ryan Anderson.
Western Conference reserves: Kevin Love (a must), LaMarcus Aldridge (first time but also a must), Russell Westbrook (another gimme), Dirk Nowitzki (11th straight All-Star games), Tony Parker (earned it the last week), Steve Nash (um… not loving it), Marc Gasol (first time but a good call as the second best center in the West).
Starters: Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Andrew Bynum
Snubbed: Paul Millsap, Pau Gasol (not having his best year but still formidable), Kyle Lowry, James Harden, Monta Ellis, Rudy Gay, Ricky Rubio, the entire Denver Nuggets team, which is second in the West but without an All-Star
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 9
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 25
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 68
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36