Feb 9, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
Indications are Lakers will retire
@Shaq uniform No. 34 next season. Brief delay due to rush of schedule, not any doubt it would happen.
O’Neal, who retired after last season, played for the Lakers from 1996-2004, and is still currently the only player to win a championship after signing a max contract with another team in free agency. During his time with the Lakers, O’Neal won 3 Finals MVPs, 3 championships, and distinguished himself as one of the greatest centers of all time. He also famously feuded with Kobe Bryant, and was traded for Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, and Brian Grant the day before Bryant, then a free-agent, re-signed with the Lakers. The move appeared to hurt the Lakers in the short-term, as they missed the playoffs the year after trading Shaq and O’Neal won a championship with Dwyane Wade and the Miami Heat in 2006.
However, the move worked out for the Lakers in the long run, as they won 2 championships after trading for Pau Gasol, with Bryant winning the Finals MVP award both times. Due to O’Neal’s penchant for burning bridges, it may have seemed like there was a possibility that no team would retire his jersey, but it looks like the Lakers will allow O’Neal to join an exclusive club that includes players like Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson, and Elgin Baylor.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 0
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 1
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 19
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 26
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4