Feb 9, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
Indications are Lakers will retire
@Shaq uniform No. 34 next season. Brief delay due to rush of schedule, not any doubt it would happen.
O’Neal, who retired after last season, played for the Lakers from 1996-2004, and is still currently the only player to win a championship after signing a max contract with another team in free agency. During his time with the Lakers, O’Neal won 3 Finals MVPs, 3 championships, and distinguished himself as one of the greatest centers of all time. He also famously feuded with Kobe Bryant, and was traded for Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, and Brian Grant the day before Bryant, then a free-agent, re-signed with the Lakers. The move appeared to hurt the Lakers in the short-term, as they missed the playoffs the year after trading Shaq and O’Neal won a championship with Dwyane Wade and the Miami Heat in 2006.
However, the move worked out for the Lakers in the long run, as they won 2 championships after trading for Pau Gasol, with Bryant winning the Finals MVP award both times. Due to O’Neal’s penchant for burning bridges, it may have seemed like there was a possibility that no team would retire his jersey, but it looks like the Lakers will allow O’Neal to join an exclusive club that includes players like Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson, and Elgin Baylor.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6