Feb 9, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
From the AP:
CLEVELAND (AP) — Cavaliers rookie guard Kyrie Irving is being evaluated at the Cleveland Clinic as he recovers from a concussion.
Irving missed his first game of the season Wednesday night with the concussion. He was kept out after the team diagnosed him with the head injury, which he sustained Tuesday night in Miami when he was accidentally kneed in the head by the Heat’s Dwyane Wade.
There is no timetable for Irving’s return.
Before the injury, Irving was the runaway favorite to win the Rookie of the Year award and was having one of the best seasons for any rookie point guard in recent years. The Duke product is currently averaging 18 points and 5.1 assists per game on 49.2%/41.3/83.0% shooting, and currently has one of the 10 best PERs of any point guard in the league.
The Cavaliers are currently just short of the #8 playoff seed in the Eastern Conference, and the team would almost certainly like to get back into the playoffs after last season’s abysmal campaign following “The Decision,” but it’s almost impossible to see the Cavaliers putting Irving back on the floor before they’re absolutely positive he’s at 100%, especially when you consider that Irving suffered a head injury.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 25
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 29
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4