Feb 9, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
From the AP:
CLEVELAND (AP) — Cavaliers rookie guard Kyrie Irving is being evaluated at the Cleveland Clinic as he recovers from a concussion.
Irving missed his first game of the season Wednesday night with the concussion. He was kept out after the team diagnosed him with the head injury, which he sustained Tuesday night in Miami when he was accidentally kneed in the head by the Heat’s Dwyane Wade.
There is no timetable for Irving’s return.
Before the injury, Irving was the runaway favorite to win the Rookie of the Year award and was having one of the best seasons for any rookie point guard in recent years. The Duke product is currently averaging 18 points and 5.1 assists per game on 49.2%/41.3/83.0% shooting, and currently has one of the 10 best PERs of any point guard in the league.
The Cavaliers are currently just short of the #8 playoff seed in the Eastern Conference, and the team would almost certainly like to get back into the playoffs after last season’s abysmal campaign following “The Decision,” but it’s almost impossible to see the Cavaliers putting Irving back on the floor before they’re absolutely positive he’s at 100%, especially when you consider that Irving suffered a head injury.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 17
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 29
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 5
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 47
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23