Feb 9, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
From the AP:
CLEVELAND (AP) — Cavaliers rookie guard Kyrie Irving is being evaluated at the Cleveland Clinic as he recovers from a concussion.
Irving missed his first game of the season Wednesday night with the concussion. He was kept out after the team diagnosed him with the head injury, which he sustained Tuesday night in Miami when he was accidentally kneed in the head by the Heat’s Dwyane Wade.
There is no timetable for Irving’s return.
Before the injury, Irving was the runaway favorite to win the Rookie of the Year award and was having one of the best seasons for any rookie point guard in recent years. The Duke product is currently averaging 18 points and 5.1 assists per game on 49.2%/41.3/83.0% shooting, and currently has one of the 10 best PERs of any point guard in the league.
The Cavaliers are currently just short of the #8 playoff seed in the Eastern Conference, and the team would almost certainly like to get back into the playoffs after last season’s abysmal campaign following “The Decision,” but it’s almost impossible to see the Cavaliers putting Irving back on the floor before they’re absolutely positive he’s at 100%, especially when you consider that Irving suffered a head injury.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48