Feb 9, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
From the AP:
CLEVELAND (AP) — Cavaliers rookie guard Kyrie Irving is being evaluated at the Cleveland Clinic as he recovers from a concussion.
Irving missed his first game of the season Wednesday night with the concussion. He was kept out after the team diagnosed him with the head injury, which he sustained Tuesday night in Miami when he was accidentally kneed in the head by the Heat’s Dwyane Wade.
There is no timetable for Irving’s return.
Before the injury, Irving was the runaway favorite to win the Rookie of the Year award and was having one of the best seasons for any rookie point guard in recent years. The Duke product is currently averaging 18 points and 5.1 assists per game on 49.2%/41.3/83.0% shooting, and currently has one of the 10 best PERs of any point guard in the league.
The Cavaliers are currently just short of the #8 playoff seed in the Eastern Conference, and the team would almost certainly like to get back into the playoffs after last season’s abysmal campaign following “The Decision,” but it’s almost impossible to see the Cavaliers putting Irving back on the floor before they’re absolutely positive he’s at 100%, especially when you consider that Irving suffered a head injury.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65