Feb 9, 2012, 5:10 PM EST
From the AP:
CLEVELAND (AP) — Cavaliers rookie guard Kyrie Irving is being evaluated at the Cleveland Clinic as he recovers from a concussion.
Irving missed his first game of the season Wednesday night with the concussion. He was kept out after the team diagnosed him with the head injury, which he sustained Tuesday night in Miami when he was accidentally kneed in the head by the Heat’s Dwyane Wade.
There is no timetable for Irving’s return.
Before the injury, Irving was the runaway favorite to win the Rookie of the Year award and was having one of the best seasons for any rookie point guard in recent years. The Duke product is currently averaging 18 points and 5.1 assists per game on 49.2%/41.3/83.0% shooting, and currently has one of the 10 best PERs of any point guard in the league.
The Cavaliers are currently just short of the #8 playoff seed in the Eastern Conference, and the team would almost certainly like to get back into the playoffs after last season’s abysmal campaign following “The Decision,” but it’s almost impossible to see the Cavaliers putting Irving back on the floor before they’re absolutely positive he’s at 100%, especially when you consider that Irving suffered a head injury.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 21
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 37
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 56
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28