Feb 9, 2012, 2:12 AM EDT
If you have wondered why trade talks around Dwight Howard have stalled out, here is your answer.
Orlando owner Rich DeVos, age 85, surprisingly met with members of the media before the Magic took on the Heat, as reported by Chris Sheridan at Sheridan Hoops:
“I don’t want to trade him,” DeVos declared to reporters.
“You never give up,” DeVos said of the negotiations. “We’ve got a great talent, a great young man. He’s got to look at his options (and) what’s best for him and I have to tell him what I think is best for him. I’m selfish.”
At his age, DeVos is not a guy who wants to start over with anything. That includes trading Howard for picks and young players and rebuilding the Magic. Even in talks of trade other teams have suggested what the Magic want back are veterans so that the team can continue to win.
But what the Magic really want is to keep Howard, for him to look around and see the grass is not always s greener and remain with the Magic. Things like a win over the Heat — which the Magic had Wednesday — can help. But in the end if he really wants out, he can get out. He can opt out and become a free agent. But the sides are talking, DeVos said (via ESPN).
“We like to think we’re making headway,” DeVos said of negotiations. “But I don’t know. He probably won’t know until the end and I won’t either.”
For now, the Magic are loath to trade him. And now you know why.
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 1
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 43
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 19
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 34
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29