Feb 9, 2012, 2:12 AM EST
If you have wondered why trade talks around Dwight Howard have stalled out, here is your answer.
Orlando owner Rich DeVos, age 85, surprisingly met with members of the media before the Magic took on the Heat, as reported by Chris Sheridan at Sheridan Hoops:
“I don’t want to trade him,” DeVos declared to reporters.
“You never give up,” DeVos said of the negotiations. “We’ve got a great talent, a great young man. He’s got to look at his options (and) what’s best for him and I have to tell him what I think is best for him. I’m selfish.”
At his age, DeVos is not a guy who wants to start over with anything. That includes trading Howard for picks and young players and rebuilding the Magic. Even in talks of trade other teams have suggested what the Magic want back are veterans so that the team can continue to win.
But what the Magic really want is to keep Howard, for him to look around and see the grass is not always s greener and remain with the Magic. Things like a win over the Heat — which the Magic had Wednesday — can help. But in the end if he really wants out, he can get out. He can opt out and become a free agent. But the sides are talking, DeVos said (via ESPN).
“We like to think we’re making headway,” DeVos said of negotiations. “But I don’t know. He probably won’t know until the end and I won’t either.”
For now, the Magic are loath to trade him. And now you know why.
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 49
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 14
- Report: Danny Ainge telling other teams he won’t trade Rajon Rondo 13
- PBT Extra: How would the NBA benefit from legalized sports betting? 2
- NBPA ready to appeal Jeffery Taylor’s 24-game suspension 12
- Alex Len, No. 5 pick in a draft full of players who looked like busts as rookies, showing he doesn’t deserve the label 5