Feb 9, 2012, 2:12 AM EDT
If you have wondered why trade talks around Dwight Howard have stalled out, here is your answer.
Orlando owner Rich DeVos, age 85, surprisingly met with members of the media before the Magic took on the Heat, as reported by Chris Sheridan at Sheridan Hoops:
“I don’t want to trade him,” DeVos declared to reporters.
“You never give up,” DeVos said of the negotiations. “We’ve got a great talent, a great young man. He’s got to look at his options (and) what’s best for him and I have to tell him what I think is best for him. I’m selfish.”
At his age, DeVos is not a guy who wants to start over with anything. That includes trading Howard for picks and young players and rebuilding the Magic. Even in talks of trade other teams have suggested what the Magic want back are veterans so that the team can continue to win.
But what the Magic really want is to keep Howard, for him to look around and see the grass is not always s greener and remain with the Magic. Things like a win over the Heat — which the Magic had Wednesday — can help. But in the end if he really wants out, he can get out. He can opt out and become a free agent. But the sides are talking, DeVos said (via ESPN).
“We like to think we’re making headway,” DeVos said of negotiations. “But I don’t know. He probably won’t know until the end and I won’t either.”
For now, the Magic are loath to trade him. And now you know why.
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 0
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 12
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 52
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 6