LeBron has no appologies for Perkins, tweeting about dunk

Feb 9, 2012, 8:09 AM EDT

Sweat rolls down the face of Miami Heat's James during a break in play against Milwaukee Bucks in their NBA game in Milwaukee Reuters

Kendrick Perkins didn’t like LeBron James tweeting about how Blake Griffin dunked all over Perk. Not in the least. Perkins said that you don’t see Kobe Bryant tweeting, or Jordan, or guys that play the game “for the right reasons” who want to win not get hung up on one play.

In response, our man Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel asked LeBron if he’s sorry about the tweet.

“For me, social media and Twitter is all about connecting with your fans,” James said. “From day one, that’s why I got to Twitter, to connect to my fans. I would never apologize for anything like that when I’m connecting with my fans…

“I can see why he may have felt embarrassed,” he said. “I don’t think I was the only one that reacted to that unbelievable play by Blake, and that’s what it was all about, me acknowledging how great of a play it was. If Kendrick Perkins had dunked on somebody else on the other end, I would have done the same thing.

“I’m an easy target, let’s leave it at that.”

LeBron is right about this — a whole lot of NBA players were tweeting about the dunk. It blew up twitter and went viral almost instantly, before the game was over. If Perkins is going to be mad at guys for tweeting about that dunk, it’s going to be a long list.

But LeBron doesn’t touch the larger issue — that the tweet was about LeBron co-opting a big moment to make it about himself. That his use of twitter is about his need for attention. That LeBron cares about himself first and winning second. Those are the big knocks, the big issues LeBron did not try to refute. He probably doesn’t even see it that way, but a lot of others do.

1. 1972wasalongtimeago - Feb 9, 2012 at 8:22 AM

He doesn’t say he wants to win? Didn’t he famously say he wanted to win multiple championships? Nothing he says/does/doesn’t say/doesn’t do will ever be enough. Just the way it is.

• baned0n - Feb 9, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Nobody accused him of never saying he wants to win. Nice strawman.

The accusation is that he cares about his own accolades more than he cares about winning. And really the article wasn’t accusing him of that, just stating that a lot of people feel that way about Lebron, which is absolutely true. A lot of people do feel that way.

• rooney24 - Feb 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM

No one said he didn’t want to win, just that he puts himself before the winning. Sure, he wants multiple championships. Everyone that plays would like the win a title (or 2, or 3,….) But, I get the impression that one main reason he would like to win is that it will help him get more endorsements and more money.

2. david8726 - Feb 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM

He’s in the right not to apologize.

People all around the league were giving props to Griffin and clowning on Perkins over that dunk. There was nothing LeBron said that tons of other people weren’t saying too. He wasn’t even bashing on Perkins – He was just giving a big complement to Griffin.

He’s a fan of the game and was enthusiastic about an amazing play. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Perkins is obviously still butthurt about having to live in Griffin’s poster forever, so he attacked the easiest target he could find – LeBron. I would tell Perkins to get over it. He’s not the first big man to be dunked on in humiliating fashion and won’t be the last. It comes with the territory.

• redbullenergydrink - Feb 9, 2012 at 9:14 AM

WELL said.

3. bhester1906 - Feb 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Does everyone make a conscious effort to demonize Lebron James or is it by mistake? I mean really, all he did was tweet. That somehow translates into him being more about himself than winning? Wouldn’t he have stayed with the Cavs and collected a big check by HIMSELF then? I wonder what statement or action you guys will complete misconstrue next….Is Skip Bayless an editor there or something?

• ljl2 - Feb 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM

if by yourself you mean the team that was called the deepest team all his last season in Cleveland…I guess?

4. africanballer - Feb 9, 2012 at 9:17 AM

“I’m an easy target, let’s leave it at that.”

This dude has class.

5. riles1008 - Feb 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Guy’s a fan of the game and gives a congratulatory tweet to a young player for a sick play and it’s construed as him trying to draw the attention off the play and to himself? The guy’s a giant douche. Calling himself the Kimg, holding “the decision”. But this accusation is obsurd and frankly, pathetic.

6. docsadlerformvp - Feb 9, 2012 at 10:34 AM

All i need to say to about this is Jordan……Jordan Crawford.

7. ptseti - Feb 9, 2012 at 10:35 AM

No lebron don’t apologize….please.

8. aldavis4president - Feb 9, 2012 at 10:54 AM

U guys are completely missing what perk is trying to say…lebron always has to “remind” ppl how “great” he is..who ever said lebrons dunk on Lucas waz #1?!?? He always has to throw some little ” I, me, I’m” kinda statement ..give Blake or nebody ur kudos w.o having to throw ur own “aw man i waz in 1st now I’m in 2nd” can’t stand that guy..gitz dunked on by Jordan Crawford nd takes everyone’s film…perk gitz dunked on nd he “wants to connect with fans” give me a break!!

9. charlutes - Feb 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM

They told me to say connecting with my fans until Perk stops being mean to me…hey do you like me?

• adamthompson24 - Feb 9, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I didn’t know Lebron’s conscious was named Charlutes…nice

10. rwmilli - Feb 9, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Well for starters, let me break it down for those of you who have lbjs weiner so far down your throat, that it’s effecting the amount of oxygen to your brains…Perkins isn’t butt hurt at the fact he was dunked on…maybe learn a little about the situation…perks was or one of the few who even thought it was a ” dunk ” seeing as how tons of players tried saying it was a lay up. That said, I’m in no way an okc fan or a lebron fan, I like/hate them equally. Perkins was hitting more on the fact that lebron called himself #1 when he said move over #6 I guess I’m number 2 now…

• miamatt - Feb 9, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Well, let’s all “learn a little bit about the situation.” For the 24 hours prior to Blake’s dunk, LBJ’s dunk over John Lucas was being replayed ad nausem on all the sports channels and in fact some were asking the question of whether or not THAT dunk was the best of all time.

Lebron never came out and said his dunk was the best ever, but c’mon, is that not the 2nd best dunk this year? He decided to give props and respect to another player, but of course it’s easy to throw stones at Lebron for anything he does or says- you know there will be 1,000 other sheep just waiting to throw stones with you.

I won’t claim to be impartial but the fact that this is even a story is a joke. And yet, here I am with everybody else blowing up the comments board.

11. raidmagic - Feb 9, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I’ve never been a Lebron guy, I. Don’t like the way he left Cleveland. Not THAT he left but HOW he left. Anyway watching that whole interview after the game last night dammit he made me start liking him a little. He has a point, while he brought it on himself with how he handled his free agency, people tend to target him for no reason.

12. cantonbound13 - Feb 9, 2012 at 11:28 AM

He never admits he’s wrong. No class.
    AKRON HATES YOU!

13. detroitcityryda - Feb 9, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Le’bum is a cunt that’s why he will never be a great he sold his soul

14. wood5050 - Feb 9, 2012 at 12:31 PM

who cares what that punk thinks

15. acdc363 - Feb 9, 2012 at 12:37 PM

This actually made me like lebron a little more. Makes him seem more human.

16. goforthanddie - Feb 9, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Other ballers may have had comments about the play, but I haven’t seen one thrust themselves into the matter (leb crying about his dunk being #2 now (which, incidentally, is exactly what he is, a big deuce)). This is just another example of leb going “Hey, look at me!”
    Maybe he could see the larger picture if he cut the cord with his posse and apologists, and he’d have less hate coming his way if he’d just STFU. Pretty simple solution, funny he isn’t smart enough to figure it out.

• diabloryno - Feb 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM

“a big deuce”?

17. slowclyde86 - Feb 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Anybody remember Jordon Crawford dunking on Lebron at a Nike camp two years or so ago? James did everything he could to get that tape and make sure it never saw the light day (without success).

But, hey, don’t be such a baby Perk—It’s no big deal getting dunked on as long as its not Lebron in the picture.

For the record, I do think Perk over-reacted. Just wanted to call out James as hypocrite.

• diabloryno - Feb 9, 2012 at 2:32 PM

How is he being a hypocrite? He said it was a great dunk…just like many other NBA players and other alike on Twitter. He stated he wasn’t calling out Kendrick and said he can see why he’s embarrassed (presumably because the Crawford dunk you referenced at the Nike camp), why didn’t he call out other players tweeting about it? Perkins is a clown.

18. jayzus - Feb 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM

So he doesn’t want to win and places himself above winning? Why would he go to a team in which he competes for headlines every night when he was the only thing worth talking about in Cleveland?

I don’t have a problem with the Lebron hating, I endorse it! but please lets keep it consistent otherwise we just look like rabid clevelanders.

19. mannyfresh209 - Feb 9, 2012 at 4:57 PM

When did LeBron express sorrow for now being the #2 dunk this season? LeBron haters remind me of Pacquiao fans: irrational and thoughtless. None of your arguments make any sense, and they’re really just your way of acting out because you think you have some knowledge of the situation. It’s comedy.

20. thelakeshow562 - Feb 9, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Who cares

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches