Kendrick Perkins says he deleted his twitter because of “too much negativity”

Feb 9, 2012, 4:52 PM EDT

Blake Griffin Kendrick Perkins Getty Images

Kendrick Perkins has gained some national attention recently thanks to his strong words about LeBron James’ twitter reaction to Blake Griffin’s play-of-the-year dunk on Perkins, and his feelings towards “elite” NBA players on twitter in general. Perkins deletehavd his twitter shortly before he made his statements, and recently there have been some insinuations that Perkins deleted his twitter because of Griffin’s earth-shattering throwdown.

Today, Daily Thunder’s Royce Young took to twitter to set the record straight:

Perk deleted his Twitter on Dec. 29. I talked to him about it on Dec. 30 and he explained why: http://www.dailythunder.com/2011/12/oklahoma-city-throttles-phoenix-107-97/

Griffin’s dunk on Perkins, and James’ tweet, both happened on January 30th, so it looks like Perkins’ deletion of his twitter wasn’t a reaction to anything Griffin did or James tweeted. From the Daily Thunder article linked in Mr. Young’s tweet, here’s Perkins’ explanation of why he deleted his twitter:

I talked to [Perkins] about his Twitter and he said he deleted it because there was just too much negativity. He also said he didn’t think he could keep his mouth shut. “I don’t think Sam Presti liked me on there too much,” he said. “I’m serious.”

1. rodgersmvp - Feb 9, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Is it just me or does he come off as a giant jerk? He needs to get over this, everything he does is adding to the Griffin story. Everytime he talks I go watch the video three times.

• letangshair - Feb 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Perkins has nothing to do with this article. He answered a question about twitter. So whatever point you’re trying to make is invalid. Go watch the dunk more and look at who the only one with a ring is on the court.

• drunkenjunk - Feb 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM

him deleting it before he got dunked on adds to the story how?

• rodgersmvp - Feb 9, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I was referring more to everything else, like the Lebron comments and his new hatred of twitter. At a certain point you need to shut up and move on.

• muhangis - Feb 9, 2012 at 7:51 PM

you’re an idiot! Get a goddamn education.

• chuckj1234 - Feb 10, 2012 at 1:21 AM

To be sure….it is you.

2. dgbk - Feb 9, 2012 at 6:40 PM

it adds to the story because clearly he built a time machine and knew blake will dunk on him…. perkins is such an attentiom whore

3. 00maltliquor - Feb 9, 2012 at 6:58 PM

bozo, where you at my friend! What you got to say about this matter?
    Let ‘em have it!

• bozosforall - Feb 9, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Perkins is cool by me…ever since the trade. ha ha

4. silvrwrx - Feb 9, 2012 at 7:07 PM

In the today social media anything you say can be spun around to make you look bad. Perk got a small dosage of what celebrities go through he just couldn’t take it. He’s a mediocre player with a bad temper with no game to back it up. Ill be glad if he isn’t mentioned again until someone new dunks on him.

5. noahbird - Feb 9, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Perkins is a solid guy. Griffin is a solid dunker. LeBron is a loser.

6. goforthanddie - Feb 9, 2012 at 7:39 PM

It’s a shame he didn’t say “I deleted Twatter because it’s outright ignorant”, but props to him.

7. mlblogsbig3bosox - Feb 9, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I just see a lot of repetitive stories in here..

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches