Feb 9, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT
Here’s another thing you can blame on the condensed NBA schedule.
We are just about a month out from the NBA trading deadline (March 15) and now is when you start to hear the buzz of moves bubble up and soon a few minor trades go down as we get closer.
But maybe not this year.
Jerry West, former Lakers and Grizzlies GM and now consultant to the Warriors, told Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated that we many not see moves until close to the deadline.
I think you’re probably going to see very little player movement for a while, right until the trade deadline. Because the way the season has been condensed, I think people in the front office are really at a disadvantage when you’re trying to add players of caliber who can make a significant difference in your team.
Less practice time will make integration of players harder, and anything that messes with team chemistry can make GMs gun-shy.
So are the Warriors going to make a move? Watch West tap dance with the best of them.
“We need to have — every year going into training camp — seven players that you feel pretty assured that the coach is going to play on a nightly basis. That’s where we need to get. Does it come through trades? Does it come through free agency? I don’t really know, because I’m not involved in the day-to-day operations in terms of talking to other teams and finding out what’s available, but that will be a focus going forward for Larry (Riley, GM) and Bob (Meyers, assistant GM).”
By the way, just like the rest of us, West thinks the Bulls, Heat and Thunder are very good. Read the rest of the article to find out more.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 12
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 24
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 67
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 23
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 50
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65