Feb 9, 2012, 4:41 PM EDT
There are some similarities to the Jeremy Lin and Tim Tebow stories — and not just that they both throw bounce passes.
Both had built in followings but were not expected by most experts to make much of an impact at the professional level. Both have. Both still have some people expecting them to fall flat. Both are very religious (Lin has thought of becoming a minister after he is done playing).
Lin told the Rise Guys on 95.7 the Game in San Francisco that Tebow has served as an inspiration to him (via Sports Radio Interviews).
“Actually a lot of inspiration just because he’s such a polarizing figure but I think the things he says in interviews, his approach to the game is just unbelievable and I respect him so much. I want to be able to do some of the things that he does in terms of the amount of charity work and the non-profit work, and the way he impacts people off the field. I think that is what is most inspiring to me about him.”
There are also a lot of differences between Lin and Tebow. For one, Lin was a good player at Harvard but Tebow is arguably the greatest college quarterback ever. Tebow was still a high draft pick, Lin went undrafted. Tebow’s success at the NFL level lasted longer than Lin’s has so far in the NBA. There are about 1.2 million other differences we’re not going to name here — the links between the two are stretched.
But there are parallels.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 15
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 19
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 15
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins go 'above and beyond' in Gm. 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury