Feb 9, 2012, 4:41 PM EST
There are some similarities to the Jeremy Lin and Tim Tebow stories — and not just that they both throw bounce passes.
Both had built in followings but were not expected by most experts to make much of an impact at the professional level. Both have. Both still have some people expecting them to fall flat. Both are very religious (Lin has thought of becoming a minister after he is done playing).
Lin told the Rise Guys on 95.7 the Game in San Francisco that Tebow has served as an inspiration to him (via Sports Radio Interviews).
“Actually a lot of inspiration just because he’s such a polarizing figure but I think the things he says in interviews, his approach to the game is just unbelievable and I respect him so much. I want to be able to do some of the things that he does in terms of the amount of charity work and the non-profit work, and the way he impacts people off the field. I think that is what is most inspiring to me about him.”
There are also a lot of differences between Lin and Tebow. For one, Lin was a good player at Harvard but Tebow is arguably the greatest college quarterback ever. Tebow was still a high draft pick, Lin went undrafted. Tebow’s success at the NFL level lasted longer than Lin’s has so far in the NBA. There are about 1.2 million other differences we’re not going to name here — the links between the two are stretched.
But there are parallels.
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 3
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 6
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 2
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 7
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)