Feb 9, 2012, 4:41 PM EDT
There are some similarities to the Jeremy Lin and Tim Tebow stories — and not just that they both throw bounce passes.
Both had built in followings but were not expected by most experts to make much of an impact at the professional level. Both have. Both still have some people expecting them to fall flat. Both are very religious (Lin has thought of becoming a minister after he is done playing).
Lin told the Rise Guys on 95.7 the Game in San Francisco that Tebow has served as an inspiration to him (via Sports Radio Interviews).
“Actually a lot of inspiration just because he’s such a polarizing figure but I think the things he says in interviews, his approach to the game is just unbelievable and I respect him so much. I want to be able to do some of the things that he does in terms of the amount of charity work and the non-profit work, and the way he impacts people off the field. I think that is what is most inspiring to me about him.”
There are also a lot of differences between Lin and Tebow. For one, Lin was a good player at Harvard but Tebow is arguably the greatest college quarterback ever. Tebow was still a high draft pick, Lin went undrafted. Tebow’s success at the NFL level lasted longer than Lin’s has so far in the NBA. There are about 1.2 million other differences we’re not going to name here — the links between the two are stretched.
But there are parallels.
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 4
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 23
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 56
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 11