Feb 9, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
Erick Dampier is back.
The veteran center has signed a 10-day contract with the Atlanta Hawks, the team announced. The Hawks have talked about needed more depth in the middle since the injury to Al Horford but have waiting to make a move to add to the ranks of Zaza Pachulia and Jason Collins at the five.
Why now? This 10-day stretch for Atlanta sees them play the Magic, Lakers, Suns and Trail Blazers — all teams with real size up front — as well as the Miami Heat.
Dampier has played 15 NBA seasons, mostly with Golden State and Dallas, but he was with the Heat last season.
At the end of the 10 days, the Hawks can either let Dampier go, sign him to a second 10-day deal or sign him for the remainder of the season.
Other teams, including the Heat, had reportedly been interested in Dampier, but not enough to make a move.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48