Feb 9, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
Erick Dampier is back.
The veteran center has signed a 10-day contract with the Atlanta Hawks, the team announced. The Hawks have talked about needed more depth in the middle since the injury to Al Horford but have waiting to make a move to add to the ranks of Zaza Pachulia and Jason Collins at the five.
Why now? This 10-day stretch for Atlanta sees them play the Magic, Lakers, Suns and Trail Blazers — all teams with real size up front — as well as the Miami Heat.
Dampier has played 15 NBA seasons, mostly with Golden State and Dallas, but he was with the Heat last season.
At the end of the 10 days, the Hawks can either let Dampier go, sign him to a second 10-day deal or sign him for the remainder of the season.
Other teams, including the Heat, had reportedly been interested in Dampier, but not enough to make a move.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4