Feb 9, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
Erick Dampier is back.
The veteran center has signed a 10-day contract with the Atlanta Hawks, the team announced. The Hawks have talked about needed more depth in the middle since the injury to Al Horford but have waiting to make a move to add to the ranks of Zaza Pachulia and Jason Collins at the five.
Why now? This 10-day stretch for Atlanta sees them play the Magic, Lakers, Suns and Trail Blazers — all teams with real size up front — as well as the Miami Heat.
Dampier has played 15 NBA seasons, mostly with Golden State and Dallas, but he was with the Heat last season.
At the end of the 10 days, the Hawks can either let Dampier go, sign him to a second 10-day deal or sign him for the remainder of the season.
Other teams, including the Heat, had reportedly been interested in Dampier, but not enough to make a move.
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 6
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 16
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 29
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 13
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 32
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 31