Feb 9, 2012, 12:59 PM EST
Erick Dampier is back.
The veteran center has signed a 10-day contract with the Atlanta Hawks, the team announced. The Hawks have talked about needed more depth in the middle since the injury to Al Horford but have waiting to make a move to add to the ranks of Zaza Pachulia and Jason Collins at the five.
Why now? This 10-day stretch for Atlanta sees them play the Magic, Lakers, Suns and Trail Blazers — all teams with real size up front — as well as the Miami Heat.
Dampier has played 15 NBA seasons, mostly with Golden State and Dallas, but he was with the Heat last season.
At the end of the 10 days, the Hawks can either let Dampier go, sign him to a second 10-day deal or sign him for the remainder of the season.
Other teams, including the Heat, had reportedly been interested in Dampier, but not enough to make a move.
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 1
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 0
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 4
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 4
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 18
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)