Feb 9, 2012, 12:59 PM EST
Erick Dampier is back.
The veteran center has signed a 10-day contract with the Atlanta Hawks, the team announced. The Hawks have talked about needed more depth in the middle since the injury to Al Horford but have waiting to make a move to add to the ranks of Zaza Pachulia and Jason Collins at the five.
Why now? This 10-day stretch for Atlanta sees them play the Magic, Lakers, Suns and Trail Blazers — all teams with real size up front — as well as the Miami Heat.
Dampier has played 15 NBA seasons, mostly with Golden State and Dallas, but he was with the Heat last season.
At the end of the 10 days, the Hawks can either let Dampier go, sign him to a second 10-day deal or sign him for the remainder of the season.
Other teams, including the Heat, had reportedly been interested in Dampier, but not enough to make a move.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 3
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 4
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 23
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 28
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0