Feb 8, 2012, 6:41 PM EDT
Kenyon Martin, signed by the Clippers last Friday over the protests of the Chinese Basketball Association, will make his debut in a Clippers uniform Wednesday night against the Cleveland Cavaliers.
He’s only expected to play about 15 minutes off the bench, according to Clippers.com reporter Madelyn Burke. At first he will be splitting time with Reggie Evans — behind Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan — but he will eventually grow into a sixth man (or at least first big off the bench) role with considerable minutes. Depth along the front line has been an area of concern for the Clippers, Martin is certainly an upgrade over Evans and Brian Cook.
Martin signed to play in China during the lockout but left his team after about a month. Part of his agreement said he could not sign and play with an NBA team until the Chinese season is done (Feb. 16 at the earliest) but Martin got a special clearance from international governing body FIBA to sign and play now. J.R. Smith would really like one of those, too, but he is still in China.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 26
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (90)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte