Feb 7, 2012, 9:29 AM EDT
This is a blow to a Nuggets team that has been one of the best offenses in the league
Denver’s leading scorer Danilo Gallinari has gone down with a chip fracture in his ankle from when he rolled it in the third quarter of Denver’s loss to the Rockets Monday night.
A chip fracture, also known as an avulsion fracture, is when fragments of bone chip off the main bone because the ligament or tendon dethatched and pulled them off during the injury. Yes, it hurts. Treatment time depends on the size of the chip and other factors, they will know more after an CT scan on Tuesday, reports the Denver Post.
However, this is going to be in the ballpark of three weeks or a month, which is pretty common with this kind of injury.
Gallinari is averaging 17 points a game and if anyone was going to represent the Nuggets at the All-Star game it likely would have been him. Now that appears out. Gallo also brings good ball movement in the offense and solid defense to the table in Denver.
Denver has prided itself on a balanced offense and guys like Al Harrington are going to have to step up, but Gallinari’s steady shot is hard to replace.
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 8
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 23
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 8
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 101
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (101)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'