Feb 7, 2012, 9:29 AM EDT
This is a blow to a Nuggets team that has been one of the best offenses in the league
Denver’s leading scorer Danilo Gallinari has gone down with a chip fracture in his ankle from when he rolled it in the third quarter of Denver’s loss to the Rockets Monday night.
A chip fracture, also known as an avulsion fracture, is when fragments of bone chip off the main bone because the ligament or tendon dethatched and pulled them off during the injury. Yes, it hurts. Treatment time depends on the size of the chip and other factors, they will know more after an CT scan on Tuesday, reports the Denver Post.
However, this is going to be in the ballpark of three weeks or a month, which is pretty common with this kind of injury.
Gallinari is averaging 17 points a game and if anyone was going to represent the Nuggets at the All-Star game it likely would have been him. Now that appears out. Gallo also brings good ball movement in the offense and solid defense to the table in Denver.
Denver has prided itself on a balanced offense and guys like Al Harrington are going to have to step up, but Gallinari’s steady shot is hard to replace.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 11
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 31
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21