Feb 7, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
Right now, Steve Nash is the guy in the “trade him so he can get a ring” spotlight, even though he’s not pushing for a trade.
But if the Lakers keep deteriorating, it’s not impossible to imagine that day coming for Kobe Bryant, either.
Well, it is for Kobe. He told Stephen A. Smith of ESPN he is not leaving the Lakers.
“Why would I want to go somewhere else, that ship sailed in (2007),” Bryant said. “If there was ever a time I was going to move to go play someplace else, that was it. I’m not going to jump ship to chase a sixth ring, it’s just not going to happen.
“It’s going to happen here or it’s not going to happen.”
I’m not sure anyone thought he was leaving at this point, except for a few delusional Knicks fans. But there is your confirmation.
So, how long will he hang around and be a Laker? Kobe wouldn’t put a date on it, but he’s not one to hang on too long.
“You think I’d hang around and average 18 points, 19 points… hell no.”
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 0
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 39
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 14
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55