Feb 7, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
Right now, Steve Nash is the guy in the “trade him so he can get a ring” spotlight, even though he’s not pushing for a trade.
But if the Lakers keep deteriorating, it’s not impossible to imagine that day coming for Kobe Bryant, either.
Well, it is for Kobe. He told Stephen A. Smith of ESPN he is not leaving the Lakers.
“Why would I want to go somewhere else, that ship sailed in (2007),” Bryant said. “If there was ever a time I was going to move to go play someplace else, that was it. I’m not going to jump ship to chase a sixth ring, it’s just not going to happen.
“It’s going to happen here or it’s not going to happen.”
I’m not sure anyone thought he was leaving at this point, except for a few delusional Knicks fans. But there is your confirmation.
So, how long will he hang around and be a Laker? Kobe wouldn’t put a date on it, but he’s not one to hang on too long.
“You think I’d hang around and average 18 points, 19 points… hell no.”
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 2
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 14
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29