Feb 7, 2012, 10:40 AM EST
Right now, Steve Nash is the guy in the “trade him so he can get a ring” spotlight, even though he’s not pushing for a trade.
But if the Lakers keep deteriorating, it’s not impossible to imagine that day coming for Kobe Bryant, either.
Well, it is for Kobe. He told Stephen A. Smith of ESPN he is not leaving the Lakers.
“Why would I want to go somewhere else, that ship sailed in (2007),” Bryant said. “If there was ever a time I was going to move to go play someplace else, that was it. I’m not going to jump ship to chase a sixth ring, it’s just not going to happen.
“It’s going to happen here or it’s not going to happen.”
I’m not sure anyone thought he was leaving at this point, except for a few delusional Knicks fans. But there is your confirmation.
So, how long will he hang around and be a Laker? Kobe wouldn’t put a date on it, but he’s not one to hang on too long.
“You think I’d hang around and average 18 points, 19 points… hell no.”
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 0
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 7
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 2
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 7
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 4
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 5
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 1
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 8