Feb 7, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
Right now, Steve Nash is the guy in the “trade him so he can get a ring” spotlight, even though he’s not pushing for a trade.
But if the Lakers keep deteriorating, it’s not impossible to imagine that day coming for Kobe Bryant, either.
Well, it is for Kobe. He told Stephen A. Smith of ESPN he is not leaving the Lakers.
“Why would I want to go somewhere else, that ship sailed in (2007),” Bryant said. “If there was ever a time I was going to move to go play someplace else, that was it. I’m not going to jump ship to chase a sixth ring, it’s just not going to happen.
“It’s going to happen here or it’s not going to happen.”
I’m not sure anyone thought he was leaving at this point, except for a few delusional Knicks fans. But there is your confirmation.
So, how long will he hang around and be a Laker? Kobe wouldn’t put a date on it, but he’s not one to hang on too long.
“You think I’d hang around and average 18 points, 19 points… hell no.”
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 36
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 62
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 33
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 76