Feb 7, 2012, 8:21 PM EDT
Knicks fans have it in for Jarred Jeffries, a guy they see as stealing the midlevel exception for the past few years. He is emblematic of the bad years the Knicks are trying to move past in some fans mind, a guy overpaid for little production.
Jeffries came back on a new deal but the fans haven’t let up — and Mike D’Antoni has his player’s back. Here is what he told the New York Post.
“Indulge me for a second, anybody who boos Jared Jeffries has got to reexamine their life a little bit,” D’Antoni said following the Knicks’ 99-88 win over the Jazz at the Garden. “I love our fans and I like Madison Square Garden, the arena, but here’s a guy who came back to us, minimum contract. He could’ve gone to a lot of other teams. He plays as hard as anybody could possibly ever play, with injuries, everything you ask him. He takes every charge, every dirty play, every rebound. He works every second.”
Jeffries really isn’t playing that well, shooting 34.9 percent, giving the Knicks 4.3 points and 3.6 rebounds a game. That said, this year he’s only costing $854,389. If you wanted to be frustrated when he was making $6.9 million last season, I get that, but this year he’s not breaking the bank.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30