Feb 7, 2012, 8:21 PM EST
Knicks fans have it in for Jarred Jeffries, a guy they see as stealing the midlevel exception for the past few years. He is emblematic of the bad years the Knicks are trying to move past in some fans mind, a guy overpaid for little production.
Jeffries came back on a new deal but the fans haven’t let up — and Mike D’Antoni has his player’s back. Here is what he told the New York Post.
“Indulge me for a second, anybody who boos Jared Jeffries has got to reexamine their life a little bit,” D’Antoni said following the Knicks’ 99-88 win over the Jazz at the Garden. “I love our fans and I like Madison Square Garden, the arena, but here’s a guy who came back to us, minimum contract. He could’ve gone to a lot of other teams. He plays as hard as anybody could possibly ever play, with injuries, everything you ask him. He takes every charge, every dirty play, every rebound. He works every second.”
Jeffries really isn’t playing that well, shooting 34.9 percent, giving the Knicks 4.3 points and 3.6 rebounds a game. That said, this year he’s only costing $854,389. If you wanted to be frustrated when he was making $6.9 million last season, I get that, but this year he’s not breaking the bank.
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 0
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)