Feb 7, 2012, 2:10 AM EDT
Through the fourth quarter, Chauncey Billups was being his Mr. Big Shot self on Monday — he had 11 points in the quarter and had knocked down three from beyond the arc to help the Clippers take the lead.
Then with 5:54 left he went down. Untouched. He had to be helped off the court.
It was his left Achilles tendon, and things don’t look promising. Nothing is official, the Clippers said he will get an MRI in Cleveland Tuesday. But there is this tweet from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
With fear Chauncey Billups badly damaged left Achilles, source close to him tells Y!: “Doesn’t look good. MRI tomorrow. I’m sick for him.”
Reports out of the Clippers locker room were just as grim — Billups had on a full boot and left on crutches, with the prevailing sentiment being that he was “done.”
If this turns out to be a full tear of the Achilles it would take more than a year to heal, and one wonders if the 35-year-old could bounce back to play in the NBA again.
This also dents the Clippers chances at a deep playoff run. Billups has been starting at the two guard and that spot could be filled by Mo Williams, but then the Clippers lose their spark off the bench. If instead Vinny Del Negro has to play Randy Foye as a starter, well, that’s a big drop off from Billups. The Clippers have depth, but they don’t have experienced playoff leaders like Billups. They could go after J.R. Smith or another free agent, but can only offer the veteran’s minimum.
Mostly it’s just a bad thing to see happen to one of the good guys of the game.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 19
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 17
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49