Feb 7, 2012, 2:10 AM EDT
Through the fourth quarter, Chauncey Billups was being his Mr. Big Shot self on Monday — he had 11 points in the quarter and had knocked down three from beyond the arc to help the Clippers take the lead.
Then with 5:54 left he went down. Untouched. He had to be helped off the court.
It was his left Achilles tendon, and things don’t look promising. Nothing is official, the Clippers said he will get an MRI in Cleveland Tuesday. But there is this tweet from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
With fear Chauncey Billups badly damaged left Achilles, source close to him tells Y!: “Doesn’t look good. MRI tomorrow. I’m sick for him.”
Reports out of the Clippers locker room were just as grim — Billups had on a full boot and left on crutches, with the prevailing sentiment being that he was “done.”
If this turns out to be a full tear of the Achilles it would take more than a year to heal, and one wonders if the 35-year-old could bounce back to play in the NBA again.
This also dents the Clippers chances at a deep playoff run. Billups has been starting at the two guard and that spot could be filled by Mo Williams, but then the Clippers lose their spark off the bench. If instead Vinny Del Negro has to play Randy Foye as a starter, well, that’s a big drop off from Billups. The Clippers have depth, but they don’t have experienced playoff leaders like Billups. They could go after J.R. Smith or another free agent, but can only offer the veteran’s minimum.
Mostly it’s just a bad thing to see happen to one of the good guys of the game.
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 7
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 7
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 19
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39