Chauncey Billups injures Achilles, may be done for season

Feb 7, 2012, 2:10 AM EDT

Arron Afflalo, Chauncey Billups AP

Through the fourth quarter, Chauncey Billups was being his Mr. Big Shot self on Monday — he had 11 points in the quarter and had knocked down three from beyond the arc to help the Clippers take the lead.

Then with 5:54 left he went down. Untouched. He had to be helped off the court.

It was his left Achilles tendon, and things don’t look promising. Nothing is official, the Clippers said he will get an MRI in Cleveland Tuesday. But there is this tweet from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.

With fear Chauncey Billups badly damaged left Achilles, source close to him tells Y!: “Doesn’t look good. MRI tomorrow. I’m sick for him.”

Reports out of the Clippers locker room were just as grim — Billups had on a full boot and left on crutches, with the prevailing sentiment being that he was “done.”

If this turns out to be a full tear of the Achilles it would take more than a year to heal, and one wonders if the 35-year-old could bounce back to play in the NBA again.

This also dents the Clippers chances at a deep playoff run. Billups has been starting at the two guard and that spot could be filled by Mo Williams, but then the Clippers lose their spark off the bench. If instead Vinny Del Negro has to play Randy Foye as a starter, well, that’s a big drop off from Billups. The Clippers have depth, but they don’t have experienced playoff leaders like Billups. They could go after J.R. Smith or another free agent, but can only offer the veteran’s minimum.

Mostly it’s just a bad thing to see happen to one of the good guys of the game.

1. dbadest1 - Feb 7, 2012 at 4:47 AM

That sucks I feel bad for the guy… GO LAKERS!!!

2. zer0sand0nes - Feb 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM

This is terrible, Billups is one of my favorite players – hopefully it’s not a full tear. He’s always been in excellent shape/condition, I’d be surprise if he didn’t rehab & make a successful return, however it’s a difficult injury to return from, regardless of age.

• florida727 - Feb 7, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Wish there was a way for them to tell if he was in a lot of pain or not. Sounds stupid, I know. But I had a partial Achilles tear and it hurt worse than any of the 5 ligament tears or 4 broken bone ankle injuries I’ve had. A doctor friend of mine told me it’s a “good thing” it hurt like ****. He said a COMPLETE Achilles tear does NOT hurt at all. Your foot dangles there, but there’s absolutely no pain. If you can flex your foot at all, it’s not a complete tear. Unfortunately, even a partial tear takes a long time to rehab. Also, they never used to operate on a partial tear, only full tears. Now they do operate on partials, so maybe his rehab will go quicker/better. Good luck, Chauncey…

3. chc4 - Feb 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I am 10 months out from a ruptured achilles and it sucks. Full or partial tear it doesn’t matter. An NBA player needs to get it repaired either way so the season’s over for him. Terrible injury.

4. sellahh - Feb 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Im so glad it happened. Seriously anything that makes Blake Griffins postseason more difficult is a smile on my face. I cant help but hate the guy, he acts all tough after his dunks only to flop on the next play consistently. Media product.
    Now pls sum career ending injuries to Blake and Lebron and im the happiest man alive. Oh at least season ending pls.
    Let the hate flow.

• cinnalocks - Feb 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Wow sellahh that is cold but I can understand how you can feel like that. It is honest and forthright. I can respect and appreciate honesty, even though your sentiments appear to less than popular. One thing that is always good in any aspect of life/society is diversity. For thinking people it reminds us that there are other people, other cultures, other facts and other points of view to consider prior to coming to any conclusion. Too bad Chauncey became a Clipper. I would have loved to have seen him in a Laker uniform! He chose to go crosstown. I am only slightly bothered that he is down.

• dannymac17 - Feb 7, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Wow. You’re a piece of work. I hope you get in a car accident and lose all ability to walk

5. sellahh - Feb 7, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Oh i feel insulted. Only so much hate? I know you can do better than that retar… Americans.

• mytthor - Feb 7, 2012 at 12:56 PM

OK How is this? Your life must be lonely and pointless for you to invest personal hate in people you’ve never met and have formed your opinion of through the television and print media. Take it from me your hate is wasted. There are plenty of people in the world that you can hate for legitimate reasons other than basketball. I’d recommend leaving your parents basement occasionally and you can experience real life, with all the joys and heartbreak it can and does bring. Otherwise, the most legitimate emotion you’ll ever feel is hatred for people on the internet who are petty and callous enough to wish serious injury on others so their television viewing experience isn’t marred by flopping.

• sellahh - Feb 7, 2012 at 1:23 PM

You talk about investing personal hate in people ive never met and you judge me based on what… oh, 2 comments on the internet. Perfectly legit. I should stop typing right about now. I am stopping typing now.

• mytthor - Feb 8, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I’m judging you based not on the comments, but on your pride in them.

• sellahh - Feb 8, 2012 at 5:55 AM

You, sir, are an idiot. A big one at that.

6. blakegriffin32 - Feb 7, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Sellahh. What a sad, pathetic human being you are. Anyone who is happy when someone else, especially someone like billups, gets hurt is simply just a depressing person who doesn’t know how to be a decent man. And to wish injuries on other people? You really need a reality check you sad, sad man. I feel bad for you honestly. You are just that low of a person.

7. blakegriffin32 - Feb 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM

And cinnalocks, he had no choice to go “crosstown” to the clippers. He was picked up off the amnesty waivers. So be more than slightly bothered and do not respect sellahh for being a horrible human being.

8. dougmanoh - Feb 7, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Just ignore sellah. She’s just looking for a reaction.

• sellahh - Feb 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Awesome, we got a special mind here. Oh wait you didnt even follow ur own rule. Surely a sign of an exceptional unit.

9. jimsjam33 - Feb 7, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Funny isn’t it . People happy that Billups goes down with a season ending injury ? If that’s what makes them happy they would probably be hilarious if Kobe Byrant , Pau Gasol or Andrew Bynum went down with an injury that would threated their livilyhood and careers . This is the height of lowdown wickedness . I don’t want to see anyone hurt or injured regardless of the color of their uniform .
    I love the NBA because the best athlete’s in the world are employed there . God gave them special talent to be used for entertainment for all of us that are gravity and height challenged . I’m am so sorry that Chauncey Billups is hurt and I wish him a speedy recovery .

Selahh , in case people don’t know your name is a saying in the Bible that gives thanks to God for all his mercy and grace . You should learn to delete the word ” hate ” from your vocabulary and learn to be a shining example of the name you so proudly use as a moniker . God bless !

10. mrlitl - Feb 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM

“I’ll only play for a contender. If someone I don’t like signs me, I’ll destroy the locker room.”

Yea…one of the good guys. Just sayn.

11. bonuntr - Feb 7, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I think the Clippers will still be very relevant without him. As a jazz fan, I have watched for years the dominance of the Lakers, it’s time for Clipper fans to own L.A.!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches