Feb 6, 2012, 7:59 PM EDT
But in a season of sloppy play and games by the players, the officials felt like they were part of that trend. Nobody is getting enough rest, everything is compacted and everybody is missing plays. Or in this case, calls.
But the league disputes that, as they told David Aldridge of NBA.com.
“There has been no material change from last year in incorrect calls,” NBA President of League and Basketball Operations Joel Litvin said by telephone Sunday. “I think the total number of fouls called per game has gone down slightly. Accuracy wise, we’re monitoring that. It has not changed. Compared to prior seasons, season to date, it’s the same. I haven’t compared it to end of season. They’re not complaining about it much, and at a game (more) per month, it’s not a big difference. And fortunately we haven’t had the uptick in injuries that we’ve seen on the players’ side.”
According to Litvin, officials are working, on a four-week average, approximately 10.8 games, up slightly from the average of 9.6 games per four weeks they worked last season. (On average, teams are playing about two games more per week in the 66-games-in-four-months schedule.)
Some of this is always eye of the beholder — one day people think the refs are great, the next day terrible, all on how some borderline calls went at the end of the game. It’s the way of the world. To me things have seemed rougher around the edges with the officials this season, but I don’t have hard and fast data to back that up.
But the league looks at everything and they are defending their guys.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 0
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 13
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31