League fines, suspends Lakers coach Brown for one game

Feb 6, 2012, 12:25 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Lakers coach Mike Brown has been suspended for the Lakers game Monday in Philadelphia, plus fined $25,000, stemming from his ejection from the Lakers loss to the Jazz Saturday night, the league has announced.

Brown started arguing with referee Zach Zarba near the start of the fourth quarter when Pau Gasol was stripped of the ball and knocked to the floor but no foul was called. Brown didn’t let up after the first technical was called, bumped a referee — a huge no-no in the eyes of the league — and would not leave the court in a timely manner.

It didn’t work, either, the Lakers still lost the game.

If Brown is out, John Kuester (who was head coach of the Pistons last year) likely takes the big chair. Chuck Person and Quin Snyder also are on the staff.

1. AlohaMrHand - Feb 6, 2012 at 12:32 PM

signed every Laker not named Kobe

2. icu84bs - Feb 6, 2012 at 4:47 PM

As a long time Laker fan, I am still confused by the hiring of Mike Brown. WTF is up there?

Mr. Brown was totally incompetent while running his team in Cleveland and had no clue about offensive sets, especially for late game situations. Did Laker management figure he would have an easier time in LA where there is a lot less pressure to win? (sarcasm).

Not sure Jerry’s son is the guy to be making personnel decisions, his sister (who runs the business side of the operations very successively) should probably be calling the shots as she seems to be the smart child of the family.

Go Lakers!

• progress2011 - Feb 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM

icu…U’m Mr. Brown had Nothing to do with:

1. Trading Odom and getting nothing in return.
      2. CP3 preferring to go to the Clips, instead of playing with Kobe
      3. Billups preferring the Clips, over playing with Kobe
      4. Kenyon Martin preferring the Clips over playing with the ball-hog
      5. Mr. Brown also doesn’t have enough power within the organization to sit Kobe when he jacks up 30-40 shots a game ! Which takes the bigs out of their flow and on the court chemistry.
      6. Didn’t the Mavs run the fakers out of the gym in the playoffs last year and swept them. Mr. Brown had nothing to do with that either.

I will be absolutely SHOCKED, if Dwight ( aka the newest Superman after Shaq ) will play with the ball hawk.

I know it’s painful to see your team get whipped and have no resemblance of ” Show Time ” but the faster you can get Kobe to retire, other talented guys that refuse to take a back seat to him, may come to help rebuild the team.

Your finger is incorrectly pointed at Mr. Brown.

It should be pointed at the ball- hawk !!!

3. fouldwimmerlaik - Feb 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Every night, I lay in bed dressed in my Kobe Bryant pajamas with my Kobe Bryant Action Figures surrounding me and I weep over the loss of my Phil Jackson. I cry, but I do not sleep. I am afraid that if I sleep, waking up to reality will make me cry even harder.

• progress2011 - Feb 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM

ahahahahaha!!! I ” BELIEVE” you are joking.

BUT I’m sure there are faker faithfuls that really do the things you have mentioned.

All the reason why I watch to see the fans in the stands, with their hankies as the fakers get torched !!!

4. mrlitl - Feb 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

As a Kobe fan I hate to agree, but ur right. Much of this is his fault.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches