Amar’e Stoudemire’s brother dies in car crash

Feb 6, 2012, 10:17 AM EDT

Amare Stoudemire

Just sad, terrible news out of Florida for the Knicks’ Amar’e Stodemire.

His brother Hazell has been killed in a car crash in Florida, reports TMZ. There as of now are not a lot of details about the incident.

The accident happened on Route 27 in Lake Wales. According to the Florida Highway Patrol, Stoudemire was driving at a “high rate of speed” when he collided with the rear of a tractor trailer. He died on the scene.

The Florida Highway Patrol says 35-year old Stoudemire was not wearing a seat belt when he smashed into the big rig.

Expect that Amare will be taking some time away from the Knicks to deal with this situation.

Our thoughts are with the Stoudemire family at this time. We extend our condolences on your loss.

1. mjbulls45 - Feb 6, 2012 at 10:46 AM

prayers & love go to Amare.

one of the true real good guys off the court.

• fishtacos4me - Feb 6, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Sure…he may have been a good guy…but who cares?

People die all the time and I don’t see you sheeple offering your fake condolences to them.

• florida727 - Feb 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Congratulations. You’re officially an @$$hole.

2. jb24fan - Feb 6, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Terrible. Sorry for a huge loss at such a young age.

3. dirkified - Feb 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I cannot imagine what he is going through. Thoughts go out to you and your family.

4. dysraw1 - Feb 6, 2012 at 2:45 PM

so sorry for your lost big dog

5. dysraw1 - Feb 6, 2012 at 2:46 PM

be strong

6. tomshoe - Feb 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM

It’s always darkest before the dawn…

7. Brian Keith - Feb 6, 2012 at 4:20 PM

On behalf of many of your true fans out here in the desert, sincerest condolences go out to you Amar’e! Though we don’t have the benefit of watching you and Two-Time every night anymore, you still will always have a special place in the hearts of all Suns fans! So very sorry for the loss of your big bro!

P.S. Apparently the clown that posted above me never realized there is much more to life than a basketball game, whether it be the Knicks and NYC or not!!!

• gajalaa - Feb 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Brian,
      I agree with you, I am a Knicks fan and believe Amare is playing his heart out, but even if he was not, I would still be praying for his family at this time because their are a lot of things that are more important than the NBA

8. knicks4life - Feb 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I would like to remove my comment ps I’m sorry amare

9. dirtybird2020 - Feb 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Feel bad for the guy, tough loss! But he is not a nice person off the court ive seen him a few times really kind of a doosh bag, for those who dont know him off the court, just saying!
    but hope hes better and his family is comforted!

• thenoblefacehumper - Feb 6, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Not sure who you met. I saw him outside of a Broadway show one time. He stopped and talked to me for about five minutes. Seemed absolutely charming and answered all my questions. I’ll let the man who brought basketball back to NY take as much time off as he needs. My thoughts are with you and your family Amar’e.

10. seanb20124 - Feb 6, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Quick google search shows he is a registered sex offender in Florida.

• Kurt Helin - Feb 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Yes, and I/we don’t know what for. There are ways to get on those sex offender lists that are horrific, and there are ways that are not a threat to the community.

• florida727 - Feb 7, 2012 at 4:54 PM

There’s a guy that lives two doors down from me on that list. He met a girl in a bar and she had a fake ID, she was actually only 16 at the time. Now they’re married and have a little boy. Sometimes being on that list doesn’t mean what you think it means.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches