Feb 5, 2012, 11:30 AM EST
Mark Cuban badgers officials. He needles the league office. He antagonizes opposing players and fans. He recently advised me on Twitter to notify him when I got a clue after a crack about Vince Carter.
But he walks the walk.
Cuban notoriously matches every fine he gets from the league for whatever acerbic thing he says or does regarding the officiating of a contest with a donation, and his $75,000 fine for comments the other night is no exception. From ESPN Dallas:
Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, continuing his tradition of making a charitable donation to match every dollar the NBA fines him, announced that he will donate $75,000 to 1 Million 4 Anna.
The foundation fights Ewing’s Sarcoma, a form of children’s cancer. It is in memory of Anna Lee Basso, who died of the disease at the age of 18 in June.
You may not like Cuban. You may not agree with Cuban. You may desperately wish he’d shut up. But the immense amount of good that he converts his fines into on a consistent basis cannot be ignored.
Cuban spends to get good players. He spends to get quality staff. He spends to have top-rate facilities. He spends to think outside the box. And he spends to turn something stupid into something positive. That’s just Cuban.
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 1
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 3
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 14
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)