Feb 5, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
Mark Cuban badgers officials. He needles the league office. He antagonizes opposing players and fans. He recently advised me on Twitter to notify him when I got a clue after a crack about Vince Carter.
But he walks the walk.
Cuban notoriously matches every fine he gets from the league for whatever acerbic thing he says or does regarding the officiating of a contest with a donation, and his $75,000 fine for comments the other night is no exception. From ESPN Dallas:
Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, continuing his tradition of making a charitable donation to match every dollar the NBA fines him, announced that he will donate $75,000 to 1 Million 4 Anna.
The foundation fights Ewing’s Sarcoma, a form of children’s cancer. It is in memory of Anna Lee Basso, who died of the disease at the age of 18 in June.
You may not like Cuban. You may not agree with Cuban. You may desperately wish he’d shut up. But the immense amount of good that he converts his fines into on a consistent basis cannot be ignored.
Cuban spends to get good players. He spends to get quality staff. He spends to have top-rate facilities. He spends to think outside the box. And he spends to turn something stupid into something positive. That’s just Cuban.
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under two hours, players barely notice 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 9
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31
- Suns coach Hornacek says shortening games won’t help teams rest their stars 2
- Lakers coach Byron Scott’s philosophy on three-pointers: ‘I don’t believe it wins championships’ 33
- Accounting for Klay Thompson choosing a contract extension over new-TV-deal money 2
- Kobe Bryant calls ESPN voters who ranked him No. 40 ‘idiots’ 34