Feb 5, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
Mark Cuban badgers officials. He needles the league office. He antagonizes opposing players and fans. He recently advised me on Twitter to notify him when I got a clue after a crack about Vince Carter.
But he walks the walk.
Cuban notoriously matches every fine he gets from the league for whatever acerbic thing he says or does regarding the officiating of a contest with a donation, and his $75,000 fine for comments the other night is no exception. From ESPN Dallas:
Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, continuing his tradition of making a charitable donation to match every dollar the NBA fines him, announced that he will donate $75,000 to 1 Million 4 Anna.
The foundation fights Ewing’s Sarcoma, a form of children’s cancer. It is in memory of Anna Lee Basso, who died of the disease at the age of 18 in June.
You may not like Cuban. You may not agree with Cuban. You may desperately wish he’d shut up. But the immense amount of good that he converts his fines into on a consistent basis cannot be ignored.
Cuban spends to get good players. He spends to get quality staff. He spends to have top-rate facilities. He spends to think outside the box. And he spends to turn something stupid into something positive. That’s just Cuban.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- LIVE: Pacers aim to even series with Heat
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final