Feb 5, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
The Knicks tried Toney Douglas. They tried Iman Shumpert. They’re waiting on Baron Davis. But for a night, they got the dynamic, slashing, pick-and-roll point guard they’ve needed so badly. And the result was a win over the Nets behind Jeremy Lin‘s 25 points and 7 assists, not to mention stellar defense on Deron Williams.
Yeah. Jeremy Lin. The former Warrior, D-League assignment regular, Harvard-graduate Jeremy Lin. He sliced and diced his way through the Nets defense which pretty much set up a sign at the rim that said “make yourself comfortable, we’ll be back next season.” He found open looks for teammates. He split double-teams on the pick-and-roll. He converted and-one after and-one and afterwards received a massive hug from his teammates.
Have we mentioned he was sleeping on his teammate’s couch last night because he doesn’t want to get a place in case he gets cut?
He had toiled in the D-League, been tossed aside by the Warriors and Rockets, and wasn’t sure he’d be long for this part of the basketball world, either. How unsure was he? Lin had been crashing at his brother’s place when coming home late from road games, as the Knicks did after a crushing loss in Boston Friday night. But there was no room at the inn – his brother had ample house guests, Lin said – so he slept on teammate Landry Fields’ couch the night before the best game of his life. “I think I may just go move in with him,” Lin said.
He may wind up getting his own place, since Mike D’Antoni hinted post-game he may be open to giving Lin the starting job, since Toney Douglas has kind of been running the Knicks like Austin Powers in that golf cart. (That’s my dated reference for the day.) And after a performance like this, it’s no wonder. It may have been one night, but it was nice to see the Knicks offense looking something like a D’Antoni offense.
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Vintage Dwyane Wade sighting 0
- Heat come from 15 down to even season series with Pacers 21
- Report: At the moment, Lakers no longer considering trading Pau gasol 11
- PBT Extra: Damian Lillard or Kyrie Irving? Plus coaching hot seat talk. 6
- Report: Celtics may be frontrunners for Asik; would move Bass, Lee, pick 6
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (105)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)