Feb 5, 2012, 8:30 PM EST
What you missed while preparing the chili to take to your Super Bowl party….
Celtics 98, Grizzlies 80: Vintage Kevin Garnett showed up for this game — 24 points on 12 shots, 9 rebounds and tremendous energy on defense — and that helped overwhelm a Grizzlies team that is showing how much they miss Zach Randolph. Marc Gasol was off for Memphis (3-14 shooting, six boards) and they can’t beat the good teams now without him having a good game.
More important than the KG game, Rajon Rondo looked back to his old self, pushing the pace and getting 14 assists. He is the guy the Celtics need to really bring it if they are going to threaten the best teams in the league, and he seems to have found his footing again after the injury. On another note, I’ve always liked Chris Wilcox more than most.
Heat 95, Raptors 89: That would be cruising to a win. Miami’s offensive execution was lacking and the team that attacked the rim with vengeance against the Sixers settled for jump shots on Sunday. Toronto is another team that has gotten Miami to settle by going to a zone (which they had to do because LeBron James, on his way to 30 points, was way too much for DeMar DeRozan in the post early on. Chris Bosh laid an egg against his former team, shooting 3-for-13 on the night.
Toronto hung tough, but without Andrea Bargnani just didn’t have the talent to get this win. DeRozan led the way with 25.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 10
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0