Feb 5, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
What you missed while preparing the chili to take to your Super Bowl party….
Celtics 98, Grizzlies 80: Vintage Kevin Garnett showed up for this game — 24 points on 12 shots, 9 rebounds and tremendous energy on defense — and that helped overwhelm a Grizzlies team that is showing how much they miss Zach Randolph. Marc Gasol was off for Memphis (3-14 shooting, six boards) and they can’t beat the good teams now without him having a good game.
More important than the KG game, Rajon Rondo looked back to his old self, pushing the pace and getting 14 assists. He is the guy the Celtics need to really bring it if they are going to threaten the best teams in the league, and he seems to have found his footing again after the injury. On another note, I’ve always liked Chris Wilcox more than most.
Heat 95, Raptors 89: That would be cruising to a win. Miami’s offensive execution was lacking and the team that attacked the rim with vengeance against the Sixers settled for jump shots on Sunday. Toronto is another team that has gotten Miami to settle by going to a zone (which they had to do because LeBron James, on his way to 30 points, was way too much for DeMar DeRozan in the post early on. Chris Bosh laid an egg against his former team, shooting 3-for-13 on the night.
Toronto hung tough, but without Andrea Bargnani just didn’t have the talent to get this win. DeRozan led the way with 25.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 17
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2