Feb 5, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
What you missed while preparing the chili to take to your Super Bowl party….
Celtics 98, Grizzlies 80: Vintage Kevin Garnett showed up for this game — 24 points on 12 shots, 9 rebounds and tremendous energy on defense — and that helped overwhelm a Grizzlies team that is showing how much they miss Zach Randolph. Marc Gasol was off for Memphis (3-14 shooting, six boards) and they can’t beat the good teams now without him having a good game.
More important than the KG game, Rajon Rondo looked back to his old self, pushing the pace and getting 14 assists. He is the guy the Celtics need to really bring it if they are going to threaten the best teams in the league, and he seems to have found his footing again after the injury. On another note, I’ve always liked Chris Wilcox more than most.
Heat 95, Raptors 89: That would be cruising to a win. Miami’s offensive execution was lacking and the team that attacked the rim with vengeance against the Sixers settled for jump shots on Sunday. Toronto is another team that has gotten Miami to settle by going to a zone (which they had to do because LeBron James, on his way to 30 points, was way too much for DeMar DeRozan in the post early on. Chris Bosh laid an egg against his former team, shooting 3-for-13 on the night.
Toronto hung tough, but without Andrea Bargnani just didn’t have the talent to get this win. DeRozan led the way with 25.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 8
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 19
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 30