Feb 4, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
It’s really bizarre and exceptionally rare, but the truth is that the fans want better for Steve Nash than he himself wants. Nash has repeatedly said he has no desire to ask for a trade, no plan to ask for a trade, no inclination to ask for a trade. He is content to finish his career with the Suns, no matter how uninspiring, ineffective, and underwhelming they are. But it should be noted that a report from CBSSports.com indicates that should Nash elect to change his mind on the ethics of asking for a trade, the Suns won’t stand in his way.
Despite the Suns’ struggles, Steve Nash has yet to express an interest in being traded, league sources said. But the organization will try to accommodate Nash’s wishes if the 37-year-old foundation of the franchise decides he’d like a chance to compete for a championship with a contender. “It’s really on him in terms of what he wants to do or not do,” a person with knowledge of the situation said. Nash, who turns 38 next week, will be an unrestricted free agent July 1.
#FreeSteveNash has become a hot topic in NBA circles, except it’s Nash that doesn’t want to be freed. The Suns aren’t going to salary dump their best player and a Hall of Famer. It’s good to know they would cede to such a request though. If only Nash would have a little more selfishness in him. You know, like 95% of the rest of the league.
Nash could help so many teams in their pursuit of a title. A single ring dramatically alters the tale of his career, and provides him with validation for so much of what he’s accomplished statistically. The Knicks, the Magic, the Hawks, the Blazers, any of these teams would be dramatically altered by adding Nash’s vision, shooting, and leadership. But again, Nash has made this bed and he chooses to lie in it next to Marcin Gortat as his second best player.
Admirable, if frustrating. It’s his career, after all.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 16
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32