Feb 4, 2012, 10:45 AM EST
It’s really bizarre and exceptionally rare, but the truth is that the fans want better for Steve Nash than he himself wants. Nash has repeatedly said he has no desire to ask for a trade, no plan to ask for a trade, no inclination to ask for a trade. He is content to finish his career with the Suns, no matter how uninspiring, ineffective, and underwhelming they are. But it should be noted that a report from CBSSports.com indicates that should Nash elect to change his mind on the ethics of asking for a trade, the Suns won’t stand in his way.
Despite the Suns’ struggles, Steve Nash has yet to express an interest in being traded, league sources said. But the organization will try to accommodate Nash’s wishes if the 37-year-old foundation of the franchise decides he’d like a chance to compete for a championship with a contender. “It’s really on him in terms of what he wants to do or not do,” a person with knowledge of the situation said. Nash, who turns 38 next week, will be an unrestricted free agent July 1.
#FreeSteveNash has become a hot topic in NBA circles, except it’s Nash that doesn’t want to be freed. The Suns aren’t going to salary dump their best player and a Hall of Famer. It’s good to know they would cede to such a request though. If only Nash would have a little more selfishness in him. You know, like 95% of the rest of the league.
Nash could help so many teams in their pursuit of a title. A single ring dramatically alters the tale of his career, and provides him with validation for so much of what he’s accomplished statistically. The Knicks, the Magic, the Hawks, the Blazers, any of these teams would be dramatically altered by adding Nash’s vision, shooting, and leadership. But again, Nash has made this bed and he chooses to lie in it next to Marcin Gortat as his second best player.
Admirable, if frustrating. It’s his career, after all.
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 1
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39