Feb 3, 2012, 8:14 PM EDT
In what is an annual tradition rivaling Meryl Streep getting an Oscar nomination or the Grammys being a disappointment, LeBron James is flirting with the All-Star Weekend Dunk Contest. He says he’s on the fence this year.
He’s not going to do it.
You know it. I know it. LeBron may be toying with the idea but he knows it.
The reporter who knows LeBron best, Brian Windhorst now of ESPN, did a great story about why LeBron will never do it.
James has never done it for a very good reason: he has absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose….
Sure, true that fans would like to see him try it out. All-Star Weekend is, after all, supposed to be about the fans’ favorite players putting on exhibitions. The dunk contest ratings would leap if James said he was going to do it.
But fans also would have expectations for James that he would not be able to fulfill. He’s been there before, he knows the fallout from that situation. He’ll have enough expectations to deal with in his normal day job that putting himself in a position where success is going to be hard to achieve.
He’s right. Blake Griffin isn’t going to defend his dunk title because what is he going to do to top jumping over a car? Unless Kendrick Perkins wants to revisit his role, nothing. Blake can’t win again even if he wins. LeBron is in the same spot.
Some people are going to hate on him for this, but then again he could solve global warming and some people would say he couldn’t have done it if it Dwyane Wade didn’t help him. With the dunk contest, LeBron is making the only smart move. Even if it’s not the fun one for the rest of us.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 0
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10