Feb 3, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
There were some out on the airwaves — mostly people who like to hear themselves talk — who were trying to sell a “the Heat are better without Dwyane Wade” line because the Heat went 8-1 with him out of the lineup and LeBron James‘ numbers went through the roof.
Not true, says Heat coach Erik Spoelstra. (Or, really anyone who gets the game.) But it wasn’t the offensive end where they missed him, the coach told Tom Haberstroh of ESPN’s Heat Index.
How much we missed him defensively. He really makes our defense that much more dynamic — to be able to have him frontline the defense, impact the ball, create some havoc on the perimeter, but also on the backline of the defense, protecting everything like a free safety. He’s essential to what we’re trying to do.
This season the Heat have switched their offense to a system they call “pace and space” where the idea is to up the tempo, create mismatches, throw the other team off balance, and take advantage of the fact the Heat have two of the best open court finishers in the game.
But you run from your defense. You create the chaos needed for the Heat’s system to work from the defensive end. And there they need Wade, Spoelstra understands.
In the playoffs opponents will try to grind this system down, to slow the Heat, but if they get just a few easy transition baskets because of it a game they become hard to beat because their defense is so sound. And those easy buckets, creating the turnover and finishing them in the open court, are things Wade does as well as anyobody in the game.
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 0
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 9
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 55
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17