Feb 3, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
The New Orleans Hornets are still looking for the best offer they can get for center Chris Kaman (which the team has sidelined until he is moved). The Houston Rockets were considered the frontrunner as they have been desperate for a big man since the lockout ended.
But another name has entered the mix, reports the Times Picayune.
A league source said Wednesday night that the Indiana Pacers, one of several other teams reportedly in the mix for Kaman, could, in fact, be the leading candidate for a swap. The Pacers apparently are looking for a backup to Roy Hibbert.
Cleveland, Golden State and San Antonio also reportedly have expressed interest in Kaman…
The Hornets are not in a rush here, plus any trade has to go up the ladder and be approved by David Stern. If you don’t think what he did to the Lakers/Chris Paul trade has other teams hesitant, you kid yourself.
Also, this could be a leverage move with the Hornets leaking this to try and get more out of Houston.
In the end, it all depends on what the teams can and are willing to give back in terms of picks and young players. Kaman is a solid center, but are you really going to give up anything of value going forward for a nice center? No. So how much are the Hornets willing to hold out for?
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 9
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4