Feb 3, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
The New Orleans Hornets are still looking for the best offer they can get for center Chris Kaman (which the team has sidelined until he is moved). The Houston Rockets were considered the frontrunner as they have been desperate for a big man since the lockout ended.
But another name has entered the mix, reports the Times Picayune.
A league source said Wednesday night that the Indiana Pacers, one of several other teams reportedly in the mix for Kaman, could, in fact, be the leading candidate for a swap. The Pacers apparently are looking for a backup to Roy Hibbert.
Cleveland, Golden State and San Antonio also reportedly have expressed interest in Kaman…
The Hornets are not in a rush here, plus any trade has to go up the ladder and be approved by David Stern. If you don’t think what he did to the Lakers/Chris Paul trade has other teams hesitant, you kid yourself.
Also, this could be a leverage move with the Hornets leaking this to try and get more out of Houston.
In the end, it all depends on what the teams can and are willing to give back in terms of picks and young players. Kaman is a solid center, but are you really going to give up anything of value going forward for a nice center? No. So how much are the Hornets willing to hold out for?
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 0
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 3
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 6
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 7
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 5
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 34
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 80
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 20