Feb 3, 2012, 2:56 PM EDT
This is not something you should gloat about, this is not a time for “I told you so.” This is a sad addendum to a long story.
Greg Oden is going to have another operation on his knee, the team has announced. This one is to “remove debris” from his right knee (which was the “good” one that hadn’t been giving him trouble in recent years). This may be routine, but it is still another surgery.
What’s more,Oden has had blood clots in his left ankle which has slowed recovery, reports CSNNorthwest.com.
“It’s accurate that they found a blood clot in Greg’s left ankle,” Buchanan said. “Out of respect for Greg, I don’t want to release further details but up we have the utmost confidence in the doctors in Vail that they will do what’s right for Greg.”
But wait, there’s more… there could be a similar surgery coming for his left knee, Blazers acting GM Chad Buchanan told BlazersEdge.com.
“There’s a chance that he may go undergo a similar procedure on his left knee in the coming days,” Buchanan said. “That is to be determined. The doctors felt like after looking at the latest MRI in both knees, they wanted to take a closer look at both things. It’s still to be determined on his left knee.”
Oden had microfracture surgery on his right knee in 2007 and would later have the same surgery on his left knee. Oden has played in just 82 games since he was drafted ahead of Kevin Durant, and has not set foot on a court since 2009.
Oden’s option for this season was picked up by the Blazers, but was negotiated down from the $8.8 million it would have been to $1.5 million. After this season he will be an unrestricted free agent.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50