Feb 3, 2012, 2:56 PM EDT
This is not something you should gloat about, this is not a time for “I told you so.” This is a sad addendum to a long story.
Greg Oden is going to have another operation on his knee, the team has announced. This one is to “remove debris” from his right knee (which was the “good” one that hadn’t been giving him trouble in recent years). This may be routine, but it is still another surgery.
What’s more,Oden has had blood clots in his left ankle which has slowed recovery, reports CSNNorthwest.com.
“It’s accurate that they found a blood clot in Greg’s left ankle,” Buchanan said. “Out of respect for Greg, I don’t want to release further details but up we have the utmost confidence in the doctors in Vail that they will do what’s right for Greg.”
But wait, there’s more… there could be a similar surgery coming for his left knee, Blazers acting GM Chad Buchanan told BlazersEdge.com.
“There’s a chance that he may go undergo a similar procedure on his left knee in the coming days,” Buchanan said. “That is to be determined. The doctors felt like after looking at the latest MRI in both knees, they wanted to take a closer look at both things. It’s still to be determined on his left knee.”
Oden had microfracture surgery on his right knee in 2007 and would later have the same surgery on his left knee. Oden has played in just 82 games since he was drafted ahead of Kevin Durant, and has not set foot on a court since 2009.
Oden’s option for this season was picked up by the Blazers, but was negotiated down from the $8.8 million it would have been to $1.5 million. After this season he will be an unrestricted free agent.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 21
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 18
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead