Feb 3, 2012, 4:38 PM EST
Much like happens any time there is a big trade looming out there, other moves get bottlenecked up behind it.
Case in point — the Lakers need a point guard and have interest in Ramon Sessions, who would be a good fit and be better than anyone they have on the roster. But here comes this note from Marc Stein of ESPN.
The Lakers are indeed on the long list of teams interested in Cavs point guard Ramon Sessions, but sources say that Cleveland would expect at least one first-round draft pick from L.A. in exchange. Although the Lakers have their own first-round pick and Dallas’ first-rounder in 2012, it’s believed that L.A. prefers to hold off on using either of those picks or its $8.9 million trade exception (created by the deal that sent Lamar Odom to the Mavs) until Dwight Howard‘s situation plays out in Orlando. Meaning that the Lakers don’t want to burn one (or more) of their limited trade assets and then find out that Orlando is suddenly ready to deal Dwight before the March 15 trading deadline …
The Cavaliers are going to have a lot of options if and when they decide to deal sessions, but the Lakers might be willing to give up more than most. But not right now. It’s going to be that way with a lot of trade talks right now, Dwight Howard (and potentially Deron Williams after that) could hold smaller deals up.
Once the Howard situation is resolved one way or another, a lot of other things may fall into place quickly around the league.
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 1
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39