Feb 3, 2012, 4:38 PM EDT
Much like happens any time there is a big trade looming out there, other moves get bottlenecked up behind it.
Case in point — the Lakers need a point guard and have interest in Ramon Sessions, who would be a good fit and be better than anyone they have on the roster. But here comes this note from Marc Stein of ESPN.
The Lakers are indeed on the long list of teams interested in Cavs point guard Ramon Sessions, but sources say that Cleveland would expect at least one first-round draft pick from L.A. in exchange. Although the Lakers have their own first-round pick and Dallas’ first-rounder in 2012, it’s believed that L.A. prefers to hold off on using either of those picks or its $8.9 million trade exception (created by the deal that sent Lamar Odom to the Mavs) until Dwight Howard‘s situation plays out in Orlando. Meaning that the Lakers don’t want to burn one (or more) of their limited trade assets and then find out that Orlando is suddenly ready to deal Dwight before the March 15 trading deadline …
The Cavaliers are going to have a lot of options if and when they decide to deal sessions, but the Lakers might be willing to give up more than most. But not right now. It’s going to be that way with a lot of trade talks right now, Dwight Howard (and potentially Deron Williams after that) could hold smaller deals up.
Once the Howard situation is resolved one way or another, a lot of other things may fall into place quickly around the league.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61