Feb 3, 2012, 1:33 PM EDT
When you say Clippers you better start to use the word contender with it.
Los Angeles filled in a major need — depth along the front line — by agreeing to terms Kenyon Martin, he will sign a mini mid-level deal of $2.5 million for this season (pro-rated by games played), reports the Los Angeles Times. That report has been confirmed by multiple other sources.
Martin reportedly wanted guaranteed playing minutes and to be on a contender, he gets that with the Clippers — and in a town where he lives in the summer.
The Clippers could have Martin as soon as next week, maybe. Martin had played in China and was supposed to have to wait until that season ended to sign with an NBA team (Feb. 16 for his team as they were not likely making the playoffs). However basketball international governing body FIBA reportedly granted him a Letter of Clearance to play now. Chinese officials are trying to block that.
Whenever he arrives, this is a huge get for the Clippers. Martin is an athletic power forward who will be the first big off the bench behind Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan for the Clips. He is 34 years old and not as explosive as he once was but he averaged 8.6 points and 6.2 rebounds in Denver last year and would provide a real toughness the Clippers could use. He also gets to join former Denver teammate Chauncey Billups.
The Clippers beat out the Lakers, Heat, Hawks Knicks and Spurs (at least, maybe more) to secure his services.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 19
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 17
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 48