Feb 3, 2012, 1:33 PM EDT
When you say Clippers you better start to use the word contender with it.
Los Angeles filled in a major need — depth along the front line — by agreeing to terms Kenyon Martin, he will sign a mini mid-level deal of $2.5 million for this season (pro-rated by games played), reports the Los Angeles Times. That report has been confirmed by multiple other sources.
Martin reportedly wanted guaranteed playing minutes and to be on a contender, he gets that with the Clippers — and in a town where he lives in the summer.
The Clippers could have Martin as soon as next week, maybe. Martin had played in China and was supposed to have to wait until that season ended to sign with an NBA team (Feb. 16 for his team as they were not likely making the playoffs). However basketball international governing body FIBA reportedly granted him a Letter of Clearance to play now. Chinese officials are trying to block that.
Whenever he arrives, this is a huge get for the Clippers. Martin is an athletic power forward who will be the first big off the bench behind Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan for the Clips. He is 34 years old and not as explosive as he once was but he averaged 8.6 points and 6.2 rebounds in Denver last year and would provide a real toughness the Clippers could use. He also gets to join former Denver teammate Chauncey Billups.
The Clippers beat out the Lakers, Heat, Hawks Knicks and Spurs (at least, maybe more) to secure his services.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 33
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 8
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23