Feb 3, 2012, 8:05 AM EDT
What exactly was he going to do for an encore, anyway? Jump over a Zamboni?
“As of right now I don’t plan on being in it,” Griffin said Thursday night. “Those dunk contests aren’t my thing, I said that last year. There’s a lot of guys that can put on a great show and do some good stuff….
“Last year was hectic and it kind of made it unenjoyable,” Griffin said. “So this year, we’ll see what will happen, but I will try to tone it down a bit and get a break instead of being so busy.”
Last year he was the new star in Los Angeles and the game was in his home town and building, which meant a lot more responsibilities. And that he had to go over the top for the dunk contest. So he did and jumped over a Kia with Baron Davis throwing a lob out of the sunroof.
This year was no-win for him — he would have had to out-do the car dunk and if he didn’t win the contest it would be an embarrassment. If he won, it was expected.
It does take a little wind out of the sails of the contest though; Griffin would have been the biggest name in it. Blake’s buddy and teammate DeAndre Jordan could represent the Clippers. Utah’s human pogo stick Jeremy Evans has a campaign going. We’ll see who else wants to step up and take the crown. And we’ll see if guys keep going in the direction of the prop-assisted dunk (over a car with a choir singing) or if it goes a little more old school.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 24
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 27
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8