Feb 3, 2012, 8:05 AM EDT
What exactly was he going to do for an encore, anyway? Jump over a Zamboni?
“As of right now I don’t plan on being in it,” Griffin said Thursday night. “Those dunk contests aren’t my thing, I said that last year. There’s a lot of guys that can put on a great show and do some good stuff….
“Last year was hectic and it kind of made it unenjoyable,” Griffin said. “So this year, we’ll see what will happen, but I will try to tone it down a bit and get a break instead of being so busy.”
Last year he was the new star in Los Angeles and the game was in his home town and building, which meant a lot more responsibilities. And that he had to go over the top for the dunk contest. So he did and jumped over a Kia with Baron Davis throwing a lob out of the sunroof.
This year was no-win for him — he would have had to out-do the car dunk and if he didn’t win the contest it would be an embarrassment. If he won, it was expected.
It does take a little wind out of the sails of the contest though; Griffin would have been the biggest name in it. Blake’s buddy and teammate DeAndre Jordan could represent the Clippers. Utah’s human pogo stick Jeremy Evans has a campaign going. We’ll see who else wants to step up and take the crown. And we’ll see if guys keep going in the direction of the prop-assisted dunk (over a car with a choir singing) or if it goes a little more old school.
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 0
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 11
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 29
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 11
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 19
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (104)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut