Feb 3, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT
Reign Man II?
It’s hard to come up with a good historic comparison for Blake Griffin, because that combination of size and athleticism just do not come along very often. If ever.
But Nuggets coach George Karl had one that I liked — Shawn Kemp. Here’s his quote via the Los Angeles Times.
“I’ve talked to a couple of guys who’ve said, ‘Was Shawn as powerful?'” said Denver Nuggets Coach George Karl, who coached Kemp in Seattle, before Thursday’s game. “I think that’s the guy who’s closest….
“This kid, he gets so high above the rim. It reminds me of when I was an athlete and I could jump and we got the 8-foot hoops,” Karl said. “He does things that we used to do on 8, maybe 7-foot [hoops]. You know, throwing it down from three feet away.”
I’m not sure I could do what Griffin does on the little Nerf hoop hanging off the top of a door in my house.
For those of you younger readers who hear Kemp’s name and think of the bloated post-lockout version of the man, or joke about his personal life, do remember that he was also a force on the court. Watch the video above. You’ll see why this may be the best Griffin comparison there is. And it’s still not perfect.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 26
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 34
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7