Feb 2, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT
Here is our daily look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT).
A big part of the problem in Orlando — Stan Van Gundy doesn’t have a lot of good players to coach.
The New York Times did a fascinating in-depth look at the NBA and China. The league is losing its grip a little.
Thinking, Fast and Slow, about the NBA. (Really interesting read about how we view players.)
Cleveland’s Kyrie Irving and the Minnesota’s Ricky Rubio are your Eastern and Western Conference Rookies of the Month for January (and December, they threw those five days in). The Bulls’ Tom Thibodeau and the Thunder’s Scott Brooks were named the Coaches of the Month.
Wizards coach Randy Wittman complains that his young team does not get a fair shake from the referees. He’s right to a degree, the Wizards are a young team and so tend not to get calls. More importantly, that’s not really the problem in Washington.
Tickets are on sale for the Broadway production of Magic/Bird.”
Speaking of the gunner. J.R. Smith hit 14 threes and dropped 60 points in a game in China. And no, his family did not get into any fights in the stands.
The Magic are about to call up Ish Smith from the D-League to provide some help in the back court.
RIP well known D1 college coach Charlie Spoonhour.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 10
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 13
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25