Feb 2, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT
Here is our daily look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT).
A big part of the problem in Orlando — Stan Van Gundy doesn’t have a lot of good players to coach.
The New York Times did a fascinating in-depth look at the NBA and China. The league is losing its grip a little.
Thinking, Fast and Slow, about the NBA. (Really interesting read about how we view players.)
Cleveland’s Kyrie Irving and the Minnesota’s Ricky Rubio are your Eastern and Western Conference Rookies of the Month for January (and December, they threw those five days in). The Bulls’ Tom Thibodeau and the Thunder’s Scott Brooks were named the Coaches of the Month.
Wizards coach Randy Wittman complains that his young team does not get a fair shake from the referees. He’s right to a degree, the Wizards are a young team and so tend not to get calls. More importantly, that’s not really the problem in Washington.
Tickets are on sale for the Broadway production of Magic/Bird.”
Speaking of the gunner. J.R. Smith hit 14 threes and dropped 60 points in a game in China. And no, his family did not get into any fights in the stands.
The Magic are about to call up Ish Smith from the D-League to provide some help in the back court.
RIP well known D1 college coach Charlie Spoonhour.
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 2
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 8
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 3
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 16
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18