Feb 2, 2012, 1:00 AM EDT
The Heat certainly could use some help, some depth along the front line. No offense to Eddy Curry, but he turns out not to be the answer.
The Heat have offered contracts to both Joel Przybilla and Kenyon Martin, their agents told ESPN.com. Przybilla is expected to make a choice between the Chicago Bulls and Heat, according to agent Bill Duffy. Martin is interested in several teams, with the Heat in the mix, according to agent Andy Miller…
Heat president Pat Riley has been recruiting both players as the Heat look to add depth to their frontcourt.
If you are going to have someone recruiting, Pat Riley is a good choice. That said, it may be hard for the Heat to land either man.
Both Martin and Przybilla both could make their decisions by this weekend. Martin cannot join a team until the team he was with in the Chinese Basketball Association ends its season (the date depends on playoff elimination).
What Martin says he wants is steady run on a team that is a contender. The Heat already have Bosh starting at the four and bring in Udonis Haslem off the bench at that position. They also play LeBron James at the four at times and occasionally use Joel Anthony there. How many minutes do they have to give Martin at the four?
As we told you Wednesday, there are a number of teams in the Kenyon Martin mix — the Lakers, Clippers, Spurs Hawks and Knicks are the other suitors. Every one of those teams could use Martin and his 8.6 points shooting 51 percent and 6.2 rebounds he averaged per game last season. At age 34 he is not a dominant force anymore but is a quality big.
Przybilla is rumored to be leaning toward the Bulls, but the Heat certainly could use his size to match up with teams in the playoffs.
- How do the Cavaliers defend Stephen Curry? 10
- Warriors have options to guard LeBron James, but he’ll make them work 21
- What kind of coach is Chicago getting with Fred Hoiberg? 10
- PBT Extra: Finals preview, how good are new and improved Cavaliers? 9
- Shaq would take Kobe Bryant over LeBron James because of “killer instinct” 82
- PBT Podcast: NBA Finals breakdown, predictions 4
- Cavaliers rate well when adjusting for playoff rotations. Warriors rate better 1
- LeBron James vs. Stephen Curry: More than meets the eye 18