Feb 2, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
Kenyon Martin and the Clippers look like a marriage that could work.
Martin wants to be on a contender, the Clippers are starting to look like one but they need depth along the front line and experience (both of which Martin brings). He wants consistent minutes, he can get them in Los Angeles (the drop off after Blake Griffin and D’Andre Jordan is steep) plus he can get Chris Paul feeding him lobs. Not to mention, Martin lives in Los Angeles in the off-season.
But it’s always about the money. Even in a shortened season. The Clippers might work out there pretty well too, according to a report from the Los Angeles Times.
Martin recently met with Clippers Coach Vinny Del Negro and Neil Olshey, the team’s vice president of basketball operations, to gauge his interest in playing for the team, both people said.
The Clippers would be willing to offer Martin the mini mid-level exception of $2.5 million, though they haven’t made him an offer yet, one person said.
Martin cannot join a team until his team’s season ends in China. The regular season ends Feb. 15 but if his team makes the playoffs he cannot join an NBA squad until they are eliminated. Martin has already left his team and is back home in the States.
The Heat also have made an offer to Martin (although he may struggle to get steady minutes there, they have some depth at the four). The Lakers, Pacers and Spurs also have interest.
A decision could come this weekend or early next week, but for now everyone is waiting on the Chinese Basketball Association.
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 6
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 19
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 46
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22