Feb 2, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
Kenyon Martin and the Clippers look like a marriage that could work.
Martin wants to be on a contender, the Clippers are starting to look like one but they need depth along the front line and experience (both of which Martin brings). He wants consistent minutes, he can get them in Los Angeles (the drop off after Blake Griffin and D’Andre Jordan is steep) plus he can get Chris Paul feeding him lobs. Not to mention, Martin lives in Los Angeles in the off-season.
But it’s always about the money. Even in a shortened season. The Clippers might work out there pretty well too, according to a report from the Los Angeles Times.
Martin recently met with Clippers Coach Vinny Del Negro and Neil Olshey, the team’s vice president of basketball operations, to gauge his interest in playing for the team, both people said.
The Clippers would be willing to offer Martin the mini mid-level exception of $2.5 million, though they haven’t made him an offer yet, one person said.
Martin cannot join a team until his team’s season ends in China. The regular season ends Feb. 15 but if his team makes the playoffs he cannot join an NBA squad until they are eliminated. Martin has already left his team and is back home in the States.
The Heat also have made an offer to Martin (although he may struggle to get steady minutes there, they have some depth at the four). The Lakers, Pacers and Spurs also have interest.
A decision could come this weekend or early next week, but for now everyone is waiting on the Chinese Basketball Association.
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 0
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 4
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 21
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 14
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 45
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement