PBT’s All-Star reserves — no Celtics, no Mavs, no apologies

Feb 2, 2012, 8:56 PM EDT

Kevin Love Getty Images

This is the hard part. And the fun part. Picking the NBA All-Star game reserves.

The voters picked the starting five from each team, but picking the reserves is a balancing act of rewarding good players and making sure the teams doing well get represented. You can’t make this omelet without breaking some eggs, and I’m breaking the Celtics — they get none. No Knicks backups either.

And out West, no Mavericks make it.

It’s a harsh world where tough decisions get made. Here are my picks.

Eastern Conference Reserves:
Deron Williams, Jrue Holiday, Joe Johnson, Andre Iguodala, Josh Smith, Chris Bosh, Roy Hibbert.

Just missed out: Luol Deng, Rajon Rondo, Paul Pierce, Ryan Anderson, Tyson Chandler, Darren Collison, Danny Granger, Lou Williams

Why: Rajon Rondo would have made it had it not been for the injury. The next best point guard not listed to me is Holiday, who has been a go to guy on the Sixers, as much as they have one. I gave serious consideration to Kyrie Irving for a spot, who has had a fantastic start to the season, I don’t care if he’s a rookie. If you want to put Irving in there I am good with that. I just had to get a couple of Sixers in there.

Deng is a glue guy that is hard guy to leave off as he has been huge, but the injuries set him back. Didn’t like leaving Ryan Anderson off either, he has had a great start to the season. Leaving Granger off hurt, but that is a deep position.

I have Hibbert making it because at least one Pacer should make it to represent them. If you want to make it Granger and remove the Hawks Johnson go ahead, but now you’re disrespecting a Hawks team with the second best record in the East (better than the Pacers).

Western Conference Reserves: Russell Westbrook, Kyle Lowry, Rudy Gay, Danilo Gallinari, Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge, Marc Gasol

Just missed the cut: Pau Gasol, Nene, Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Ricky Rubio, Ty Lawson, Al Harrington, Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson, Marcin Gortat.

Why? First, to me Love, Westbrook and Aldridge should be unquestioned locks.

With Andrew Bynum as a starter it came down to Nene, Gortat and Marc Gasol at the backup five spot, and while you can make a real case for Gortat (who is having a fantastic year) so is Marc Gasol and he has had to take on more of a load with Zach Randolph down. So Gasol got my nod. Besides, doesn’t there always have to be one Gasol on the All-Start team?

Pau Gasol has been inconsistent and Dirk Nowitzki is just not having a good year. Steve Nash missed a couple games with injuries but you can put him on — you just can’t take off Westbrook (Gay would be my last guy to make the cut). Gallinari has been the leading scorer on a selfless team in Denver that has the second best record in the West.

1. 00maltliquor - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:22 PM

After the starters, there’s a big dropoff in supreme talent in the East. Just like the teams, they got some off the best squads in the league the first 5-6 teams, then the dropoff is major. West is loaded.

I don’t see how you can leave off Deng, but injuries does kinda take you out the equation. I just don’t think he’s missed enough to be booted off. Dirk will make it on the strength that he’s Dirk, the defending champ, even though he shouldn’t. Al Jefferson or Paul Milsap, somebody should make it from Utah, I don’t know how they keep winning! Tony Parker should get at least a wink. Seems like a down year though. #’s are down all across the board.

2. entropy13 - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Why would you even apologize? Actually I think Dirk won’t be in the ASG anymore.

It’s all going according to plan, Carlisle’s plan to be exact.

3. jjordannba - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Kurt, Your an idiot, i have just realized it Ray Allen is playing really well and is shooting career highs in both his FG% and 3 point %, and is like 2nd in the league in 3% right now

• trbowman - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:42 PM

“Kurt, Your an idiot,”

Hmm…….

• jjordannba - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:39 PM

yall sure are big on grammar on these sports commenting boards, when yall go on your rants about sports yall send it to Microsoft Word and use spell check before you post because everything must be proper on the PBT boards right -buncha girls

• goforthanddie - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM

jjordannba:

Whether it’s here, the Wall Street Journal site, or a personal blog, people WILL take you more seriously if what you type doesn’t look like a hamster ran over the keyboard. You want to type like a moron, expect to be treated as such. Your defense only makes the case against you stronger. Now run along and study your 3rd grade English some more.

4. goforthanddie - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:39 PM

If Wade/leb are starting, Miami’s 3rd option has no place on the All-Star team. I know why he’s there, it’s not a valid reason. In fact, it contradicts your own reasoning.

5. ufullpj - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM

No Brandon Jennings? Anywhere? The way Jennings has been playing, he’s an all-star this year.

6. nightrain42 - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:11 PM

DeMarcus Cousins? Fantastic year do far

7. mlblogsbig3bosox - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Interesting.. In the other post you almost put Ryan Anderson as a starter over Melo but in here you leave him out of the All-Star team. Nice to know your reasoning.

8. ss3walkman - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Still hoping Ray Allen gets in somehow. Seeing this may be very well his last season (doubt it tho) he deserves one last go. He’s the second highest vote getting SG in the East and they could add him as a UTL or have him at SG and Joe Johnson at SF due to his height and size.

One last All-Star game for Ray!

• ss3walkman - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Plus, he always wears the best All-Star Game Jordan’s haha

9. eagles512 - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Nice to see Iggy getting his due. He’s been great all year.

• tcclark - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Me too, but let’s hold the applause until the actual roster comes out. Knowing the NBA we’ll end up with 4 Celtics and Vince Carter on the West roster

10. theripster30 - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Let me start by saying i’ve never thought much of Helin so the bar isn’t set high. I’m not calling Brandon Jennings an automatic all-star, but to not even have him in the conversation is ignorant. Bucks are playing good ball ever since Bogut went down and it’s largely in part to BJ carrying the team on his back. To me, it simply exposes bad journalism.

11. Justin - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:57 AM

As I read this post I am watching the Nuggets just demolish the Clippers. There needs to be more than one Denver guy in here.

• rtlguru - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Yet another scheduling blowout – throw that game out.

Clips playing 4th game in 5 nights coming home late from Utah last night. at Den/OKC/at Utah/Den. Simply ran out of gas. Utah got blown out tonight at the Warriors making the same trip to the west coast.

That being said, I agree Denver deserves a guy on the team, but because no one stands out, probably won’t happen.

• Justin - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Yeah that is probably going to be the common argument and it is a pretty legit one. They don’t really have any “superstars” but I feel like Lawson and Gallinari are starting to rise to the top.

12. khadeemw - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Jrue Holiday is a good player, but hes averaging 14 and 4. Thats not “all-star” production. I would put Rondo in his spot.Then you dont have Paul Pierce when hes averaging 17pts 5 rebs and 5 ast on a surging Celtics team. I think he should replace Joe Johnson on your list.

13. hbdbrowns33 - Feb 3, 2012 at 3:17 AM

No Anderson Varejao? He’s fourth in NBA in overall rebounding, first in offensive rebounding, and averages a double-double. Not to mention he’s an excellent defender and does the little things on both ends that don’t show up on the stat sheet.

• seannymo - Feb 3, 2012 at 10:45 AM

you forgot to also mention that he’s first in the nba in constant whining and flopping

• ljl2 - Feb 3, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Way to be stuck in the rhetoric of ’07. No one in the NBA holds that belief. Watch a game (oh wait…can’t because for some reason the NBA decided the #1 draft picks team should not be on tv all year)

14. douglaer - Feb 3, 2012 at 5:58 AM

Pierce should and will make the all star game. I understand the concept of getting guys on good teams involved, but there’s no need to force two sixers onto the roster. Similar to the nuggets they are a complete team effort so giving the nod to iggy will be a deserving reward. Besides if you want to reward someone for getting their team wins, no one is more deserving than Paul. The Celtics are 12-7 with him in the lineup and since he took over for rondo as facilitator the Celtics are 6-2 (should be 7-1 if doc hadn’t forgotten him on the bench during the Cavs metldown). His assists over those 8 games have got to be a career high for any 8 game stretch. He has turned it over a fair amount but Rondo was averaging almost 4 TO so not a bad tradeoff. I hate to say it, but add in the solid rebounding and defense and you could almost say Pierce has been Bronlike the past couple weeks.

15. leearmon - Feb 3, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I like Kyle Lowry alot, but no way he deserves to be an All-Star over Ty. Period. And honestly, Al Jefferson should make it to the A.S. game too, probably over Rudy.

• tcclark - Feb 3, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Kyle Lowry is averaging almost 15 points, 8 assists, 2 steals, and 6 REBOUNDS. The dude is 6 feet tall on a good day and he’s grabbing 6 boards a night. He’s one of the more underrated players in the game. He deserves it.

16. aboogy123456 - Feb 3, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I agree with most of the comments but I don’t care about the all-star team because it’s bs anyways. Blake Griffin shouldn’t even make the team ahead of guys like Lamarcus aldridge, but since he’s a fan favorite he’s starting. And I can’t believe Steve Nash is still playing this well late in his career, he deserves some more credit, I don’t care that he’s missed a couple games.

17. bozosforall - Feb 3, 2012 at 11:35 AM

No Celtics…as it should be. They SUCK

• mikeewright7 - Feb 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Bozo is that another Anti-Celtics Post???? SMH, I told you every time you post an Anti-Celtics comment I will be there, and what did you do? “No Celtics…as it should be. They SUCK” you post it so here I am,
      Yea we suck but we have +.500 %…Hmm looks like we had a slow start but we are getting it together, I think Ray Allen and Paul Pierce should both be involve, Rondo should sit and get rest, or hell he can play
      , as long as 1 Celtic get in im happy if 2 get in im going to be very exciting, oh boy if 3 get in I know you’re going to be pissed, #1Celtics Fan, I mean at least your boy Kobe in, wonder what you gone do when Kobe retires? LA goes down the drain!!!!

• bozosforall - Feb 6, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Cry us a river, little Boston wuss.

18. tcclark - Feb 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I’m a huge Sixers fan and i like the love, but Jrue doesn’t belong on here. As someone else posted he’s averaging 14 and 4(almost 5) and he’s shooting at a high volume. He’s actually having a worse year than last year. I’d like to see him drive more. It will help his numbers tremendously. he doesn’t get to the line enough and it will produce more drive and kick opportunities, thus creating more assists. he shoots too many jumpers. I’d love to see him on the roster, but at this point there are more deserving players.

• Kurt Helin - Feb 3, 2012 at 3:03 PM

If Rondo is healthy — and he may be, he is expected back Friday night now — then Holiday is out and Rondo is in.

• tcclark - Feb 3, 2012 at 3:48 PM

either him or Brandon Jennings would make more sense

19. fullvraidjo - Feb 3, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Danny Granger and Brandon Jennings over Iggy and Jrue !

20. jimsjam33 - Feb 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I’m okay with your picks . Kyle Lowry is out with injuries I would replace him with Steve Nash .

21. chitownmatt - Feb 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Why does everyone refer to Deng as a “glue guy” ???

I understand it, but it just sound so stupid.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches