Nowitzki’s knee feeling better, but his game isn’t

Feb 2, 2012, 3:01 PM EST

Mavericks forward Nowitzki looks to pass defended by Celtics forward Garnett in the second quarter of their NBA Basketball game in Boston Reuters

Dirk Nowitzki was 2-of-15 from the field Wednesday as Dallas lost to Oklahoma City. I rewatched all his shots from the game on Thursday morning, and what’s disturbing is these are by and large good looks. Particularly by Nowitzki’s standards (open threes, turnarounds from the elbow).  This was not an isolated off night, Nowitzki is shooting 43 percent this season (down from 51.7 last season) and he is hitting 17 percent of his threes. He’s not rebounding as well. Basically, his whole game is off.

Which is why he had four games off last week, to rest a sore knee and work on conditioning. The knee is not the problem any more, but he still is not right.

The plan now is to keep his routine and try to get a rhythm back, he told the Star-Tribune.

“I’ve just got to keep on working, come in at night like what I always do,” Nowitzki said. “I lift on off days and get my shots up and just keep on working, and keep working in the right direction.

“I think it’s going to come eventually. I can’t tell you how long it’s going to take, but eventually it’s going to come back.”

Dallas hopes so. Without him they are not going very far this season.

1. illcomm - Feb 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Kurt. the last article you did had a few errors in it. Mainly that you said Dirk played for the Cavs last year.

2. adnan604 - Feb 2, 2012 at 4:32 PM

This is the second time I seen him mention hitting the gym and “lifting” and I don’t believe it for one second, Dirk you’ve never lifted nothing heavier than a wiener schnitzel your whole life so stop frontin, and get your old coach in the gym with you start puttin up shots for real….

what you think, that just cuz you’re a world champ, you can take a few months off after playing for Germany where you yourself said you didnt TOUCH a basketball for 3 months or something, and you think you can come back into the league and everything will be jolly…

It’s the pros buddy, I know you’re coming off a chip but you cannot slack in any north american professional league, it’s filled with athletes that will eat you up…
    anyway get back into shape, Dallas needs it, from the looks of it right now yall will be eliminated in the first round this year

• xeno75 - Feb 2, 2012 at 6:27 PM

guess what? he takes a long time off every offseason before he starts lifting and training again. apparently he believed the lockout would last longer

3. damp1015 - Feb 2, 2012 at 4:58 PM

There’s something wrong with him but he’s just not saying it. And with the condensed schedule it won’t get right this year for him. And I think he knows he won’t be who he needs to be to play like a real champion.

4. lemfax - Feb 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I got a championship ring. Finals & season MVP. Considered one of the best pw in the league history. I put my country in the basketball map. What else can I ask for… Just enjoy the remaining of my career and finish my contract. -Wish I’m wrong dirk! We still hoping you could comeback-

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches