Feb 2, 2012, 3:01 PM EDT
Dirk Nowitzki was 2-of-15 from the field Wednesday as Dallas lost to Oklahoma City. I rewatched all his shots from the game on Thursday morning, and what’s disturbing is these are by and large good looks. Particularly by Nowitzki’s standards (open threes, turnarounds from the elbow). This was not an isolated off night, Nowitzki is shooting 43 percent this season (down from 51.7 last season) and he is hitting 17 percent of his threes. He’s not rebounding as well. Basically, his whole game is off.
Which is why he had four games off last week, to rest a sore knee and work on conditioning. The knee is not the problem any more, but he still is not right.
The plan now is to keep his routine and try to get a rhythm back, he told the Star-Tribune.
“I’ve just got to keep on working, come in at night like what I always do,” Nowitzki said. “I lift on off days and get my shots up and just keep on working, and keep working in the right direction.
“I think it’s going to come eventually. I can’t tell you how long it’s going to take, but eventually it’s going to come back.”
Dallas hopes so. Without him they are not going very far this season.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 71
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8