Feb 2, 2012, 1:32 PM EDT
Mavericks’ owner Mark Cuban has a valid point — by my subjective measures the officiating seems to be worse this season. Cuban certainly has objective measures — he’s got guys breaking down the numbers — ones I’m sure show up in David Stern’s inbox quite often.
Cuban told ESPNDallas.com he is not happy with the officiating this season after the Mavericks loss to the Thunder Wednesday night.
“Look, I haven’t said a whole lot about the officiating in a long, long time, but I haven’t seen it this bad in a long, long time,” Cuban told ESPNDallas.com in the Mavericks’ weight room after the loss. “Guys miss calls; that’s part of the game. You’re not always going to have a great crew. Officials have got to learn that’s part of the game.
“But these were officials that have been part of the league for years, and it was just off-the-charts bad. And, if no one ever says anything, nothing ever happens.”
Here’s the thing — this is on Cuban and the owners. They locked everyone out and then pushed for a condensed 66-game schedule so they could make their money back. Kelly Dwyer puts it well over at Yahoo’s Ball Don’t Lie.
Secondly, the sheer amount of games that the NBA has greedily mashed together (66 will be placed this year in a space that usually seats about 50) is forcing the referees to officiate even more games than the players are playing. This is a long work week, with insane amounts of travel; and as the cliché goes, every game is a road game for the referees.
Basically, just like the players in the games, it’s all a little sloppy right now. Yes there are a lot of new officials, yes there could be better transparency, but in the end that’s not going to change the product. It’s very, very hard to referee the game at this level and these men and women are better at it than anyone. What they could use is a little more rest.
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 0
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 4
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 15
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7