Feb 2, 2012, 1:32 PM EDT
Mavericks’ owner Mark Cuban has a valid point — by my subjective measures the officiating seems to be worse this season. Cuban certainly has objective measures — he’s got guys breaking down the numbers — ones I’m sure show up in David Stern’s inbox quite often.
Cuban told ESPNDallas.com he is not happy with the officiating this season after the Mavericks loss to the Thunder Wednesday night.
“Look, I haven’t said a whole lot about the officiating in a long, long time, but I haven’t seen it this bad in a long, long time,” Cuban told ESPNDallas.com in the Mavericks’ weight room after the loss. “Guys miss calls; that’s part of the game. You’re not always going to have a great crew. Officials have got to learn that’s part of the game.
“But these were officials that have been part of the league for years, and it was just off-the-charts bad. And, if no one ever says anything, nothing ever happens.”
Here’s the thing — this is on Cuban and the owners. They locked everyone out and then pushed for a condensed 66-game schedule so they could make their money back. Kelly Dwyer puts it well over at Yahoo’s Ball Don’t Lie.
Secondly, the sheer amount of games that the NBA has greedily mashed together (66 will be placed this year in a space that usually seats about 50) is forcing the referees to officiate even more games than the players are playing. This is a long work week, with insane amounts of travel; and as the cliché goes, every game is a road game for the referees.
Basically, just like the players in the games, it’s all a little sloppy right now. Yes there are a lot of new officials, yes there could be better transparency, but in the end that’s not going to change the product. It’s very, very hard to referee the game at this level and these men and women are better at it than anyone. What they could use is a little more rest.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48