Tyson Chandler thinks the Knicks could still win the title

Feb 1, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT

Tyson Chandler, Norris Cole AP

I like to think that if Scarlett Johansson just hung out with me and got to know me — to really experience my sparkling personality and deep blue eyes — I’d have a real shot at her.

Along those same lines, Tyson Chandler thinks if things break the right way, the New York Knicks could still win the NBA title. Yes, this year.

Here is what the Knicks big man told ESPNNewYork.com.

“In all honestly, I still feel like this is a team that can win a championship. I feel like we definitely have the pieces,” Chandler said on Monday. “I feel like we haven’t come together yet. It’s a process … I feel like guys are going to have to step up and play roles that they are not necessarily used to. We get everybody back healthy, we get everybody on the floor at one time, then we’ll see what we got.”

The Knicks do need to get everyone healthy, that would help, although every team is battling heath issues this season.

But even if Baron Davis comes in and is 2007 playoffs Baron Davis (Warriors upset the Mavericks, remember?) and Carmelo Anthony is healthy and Iman Shumpert starts playing with the wisdom of a 10-year veteran, you think they’re better than the Heat or Bulls? No.

The problem is the second thing — because of this roster the Knicks players are being asked to do things that are outside their comfort zone, that they are not particularly strong at. Last season, did the Mavericks ask their role players to play to their weaknesses or their strengths? Exactly.

I think Tyson has a better shot at Scarlett. Not as good a shot as I have, though.

1. AlohaMrHand - Feb 1, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Me too….if we were playing NBA2K12

2. goforthanddie - Feb 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM

The Wizards *could* win the title too, yet everyone with a brain knows they won’t, and is smart enough to not say it.

3. beagle11 - Feb 1, 2012 at 5:24 PM

If Baron Davis was in 07 playoff form, he would be a top 5 pg in the league. Are you saying that if the Knicks had a top 5 pg with this roster they wouldn’t have a chance at the title?

• baldeagle22 - Feb 1, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I’d say that they have a small chance, however a larger chance than Baron coming back in 07 form…

• goforthanddie - Feb 1, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Amare and Mr. Vasquez aren’t enough, you need a top-5 PG too?

Start small, like maybe ANY PG.

4. damp1015 - Feb 1, 2012 at 6:08 PM

What’s sad is that people are being negative when a NBA player has the aspiration to be a champion again. He sees the potential in his team. You think if Lebron had said this he would be laughed at like this? At least Chandler is positive unlike some people just playing for checks.

And yes I’m a Knickerbocker for life!!!

• goforthanddie - Feb 1, 2012 at 6:59 PM

It’s fine, even expected that a player have title aspirations. It’s another to spout insane babble.

Your team, as constructed, has no potential. You spent 100mil on an over-rated Amare, only to watch him take a back seat to an even more over-rated Mr. Vasquez. You have no PG; when Baron comes back, you still have no PG.

• nixonotis - Feb 2, 2012 at 2:25 AM

I agree, but let’s be fair, these sort of “reports” are non-stories. What do you expect the player to say?

5. baldeagle22 - Feb 1, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Someone needs to check this man’s urine…

I don’t mean to hate, but they are so far behind Miami and Chicago that it isn’t funny. These teams won’t lose 3 straight, let alone 6 like NY. Miami loses Wade, goes 5-1. Everyone deals with injuries.

6. isujames - Feb 1, 2012 at 7:10 PM

they could win the title if they were in fantasy world or had a good dream.

7. therealhtj - Feb 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Tyson Chandler also believes he’s worth 15 mil a year. Another opinion of which he’s the sole owner.

8. andyreidisfat - Feb 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Umm yeah it might be time to stop doing stories on losing superstar laden teams and start talking a real “team” like the sixers , who are only what, 10 games a head of the knicks ?

I hate the nba and the media that surrounds it for just this reason. You got magic happening in Philly, a team that plays the game how it supposed to be. A team where no player thinks they are worth more than any other. A team of non selfish hard working guys who are willing to sacrifice for the good of team and not just try and make sportscenter highlights. Yet the knicks who suck, don’t play hard, and have a bunch of selfish me first players get more coverage. It’s a joke.

9. max20characters - Feb 2, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Tyson Chandler also thinks crack is good for you.

• africanballer - Feb 2, 2012 at 1:07 AM

LOL

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches