Feb 1, 2012, 4:28 PM EDT
The Houston Rockets have gone after every center with a heartbeat that has come on the market since the lockout ended, and they may finally be getting one. A pretty good one.
The Houston Rockets have had extensive discussions with the New Orleans Hornets about center Chris Kaman and appear to be in the lead to trade for him, numerous sources told SI.com….
While no deal is imminent and the pieces are still being discussed, sources said the talks have involved the Rockets’ two top-10 picks from the 2009 draft — center Hasheem Thabeet (No. 2 by Memphis) and power forward Jordan Hill (No. 8 by New York). The Rockets have other young former first-rounders who could be included as well, among them second-year forward Patrick Patterson, third-year point guard Jonny Flynn and third-year small forward Terrence Williams. They also have a 2012 first-round pick from the Knicks that the Hornets would love to obtain.
Don’t expect this to happen fast — remember the league owns the Hornets right now so there are extra hoops to jump through. Just ask the Lakers.
Also, Cleveland, San Antonio and Indiana are also still in the running, reports SI.
This would be an upgrade for the Rockets — people tend to underestimate Kaman. This is a solid, strong NBA center who can provide some points, rebounds and a defensive presence in the paint. He is not elite, but he is a career 12 and 8 guy who plays within himself and is tough.
Houston is 12-9 this season, eight seed in the West right now, with Jordan Hill at center. This gives them some much needed balance.
You can bet that Knicks pick is part of the deal.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 10
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 43
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11