Feb 1, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
Fun little note from Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
If the Lakers don’t sign Kenyon Martin, they could have interest in adding Rasheed Wallace, who contacted the team several weeks ago, a league source said. Wallace retired after the 2009-10 season, but has told friends he’s interested in returning to the NBA.
We told you before ‘Sheed wants to make an NBA comeback. The Lakers are potential contenders (although they have not played like it) who need some depth along the front line. We last saw Wallace with the Celtics two seasons ago (he was their best player in a Game 7 loss to the Lakers in the 2010 NBA finals), he can play physical inside but has shooting range to the arc. When he walked away from the game at age 35 he was still a serviceable big man, but is he still? There will be questions about his conditioning and commitment.
Lakers coach Mike Brown confirmed yesterday that the Lakers have reached out and talked to a lot of players as they take a look at roster upgrades. (That includes Gilbert Arenas, by the way.) ‘Sheed might well be on that list, too.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32