Feb 1, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
Fun little note from Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
If the Lakers don’t sign Kenyon Martin, they could have interest in adding Rasheed Wallace, who contacted the team several weeks ago, a league source said. Wallace retired after the 2009-10 season, but has told friends he’s interested in returning to the NBA.
We told you before ‘Sheed wants to make an NBA comeback. The Lakers are potential contenders (although they have not played like it) who need some depth along the front line. We last saw Wallace with the Celtics two seasons ago (he was their best player in a Game 7 loss to the Lakers in the 2010 NBA finals), he can play physical inside but has shooting range to the arc. When he walked away from the game at age 35 he was still a serviceable big man, but is he still? There will be questions about his conditioning and commitment.
Lakers coach Mike Brown confirmed yesterday that the Lakers have reached out and talked to a lot of players as they take a look at roster upgrades. (That includes Gilbert Arenas, by the way.) ‘Sheed might well be on that list, too.
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 0
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 3
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 4
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19