Feb 1, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
Fun little note from Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
If the Lakers don’t sign Kenyon Martin, they could have interest in adding Rasheed Wallace, who contacted the team several weeks ago, a league source said. Wallace retired after the 2009-10 season, but has told friends he’s interested in returning to the NBA.
We told you before ‘Sheed wants to make an NBA comeback. The Lakers are potential contenders (although they have not played like it) who need some depth along the front line. We last saw Wallace with the Celtics two seasons ago (he was their best player in a Game 7 loss to the Lakers in the 2010 NBA finals), he can play physical inside but has shooting range to the arc. When he walked away from the game at age 35 he was still a serviceable big man, but is he still? There will be questions about his conditioning and commitment.
Lakers coach Mike Brown confirmed yesterday that the Lakers have reached out and talked to a lot of players as they take a look at roster upgrades. (That includes Gilbert Arenas, by the way.) ‘Sheed might well be on that list, too.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65