Pau Gasol says players saying he’s soft just talking, jealous

Feb 1, 2012, 7:02 PM EDT

Pau Gasol AP

When at the end of the Lakers win over the Clippers last week Pau Gasol reached out and rubbed Chris Paul’s head and Paul took offense, he turns at one point to Kobe and says, “he’s soft.”

Gasol has been hearing the soft thing since before he was drafted. From coaches, players (Kendrick Perkins, Amare Stoudemire), particularly Lakers fans. Stood up to Dwight Howard in the finals one year (Andrew Bynum was out) and fans are calling Gasol soft before training camp ends the next year. Heck, Pau probably hears it from his brother.

What does he say to all that? He doesn’t care, other guys are just talking He’s got rings. Other players are jealous.

Here is the quote, from 790 The Ticket in Miami with Dan Le Batard (via Sports Radio Interviews).

“Sometimes I believe it is guys just talking for the heck of talking. They got nothing better to say and other times I believe there is a little bit of jealousy at times, but I can’t really control what other people say. I can control what I do and what I have been doing throughout my career, which has been very successful and help my team beat better teams. That is as much as I can control and that’s what I focus 100% on, so the rest of the stuff is a couple of guys talking here or there. It does not affect me or interfere with my life.”

“Again it is something that it is brought up after three consecutive finals and two championships. Those thoughts kind of went away with the two championships, but again I play.”

I think there is a difference between being soft and having a finesse game. I don’t expect all my big men to play like Dwight Howard. Gasol is a finesse player, and he’s got better touch and moves around the post than any other big in the league. But he has some fight in him. He may not be demonstrative, but he’s got fight. Go back and watch those finals. He’s not soft. And a lot of guys are jealous.

Latest Posts
  1. Dion Waiters explains tweet saying he wouldn’t accept bench role

Jul 30, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT

2013 Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day 2013 Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day

Cavaliers guard says initial response stemmed from his straightforward approach, confidence

2. NBA considering charity All-Star game in South Africa

Jul 30, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT

Nelson Mandela Nelson Mandela

Collective Bargaining Agreement limits offseason charity games to United States and Canada

3. Report: Gregg Popovich had hip-replacement surgery

Jul 29, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Five Getty Images

Popovich signed contract extension with Spurs this offseason

4. Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold

Jul 29, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT

Image (1) durant_usa_fun-thumb-250x159-20234.jpg for post 4140

“That 2010 team was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. I think we have a team that’s even better.” —Kevin Durant

5. Report: Magic signing Peyton Siva to unguaranteed contract

Jul 29, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT

Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic

Orlando reportedly plans to send former Pistons point guard to D-League

6. Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did.

Jul 29, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT

2014 USA Basketball Men's National Team Practice Getty Images

“I just tell everybody that I’m here in Oklahoma City, I love it here. Who knows what will happen.” —Kevin Durant on his 2016 free agency.

7. Report: Eric Bledsoe-Suns ‘relationship is on the express lane to being ruined’

Jul 29, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT

Eric Bledsoe, Jeff Hornacek, Goran Dragic Eric Bledsoe, Jeff Hornacek, Goran Dragic

Bledsoe reportedly resents how differently Pistons, Jazz and Rockets treated their restricted free agents

8. Report: Mike Scott considering ‘lucrative’ offer to play in Russia

Jul 29, 2014, 6:22 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Indiana Pacers - Game Seven Getty Images

CSKA-Moscow wants to poach Scott from Atlanta Hawks

9. Mavericks sign Ivan Johnson

Jul 29, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Atlanta Hawks Dallas Mavericks v Atlanta Hawks

Johnson gets NBA contract after eventful summer league

10. Report: Timberwolves told Kevin Love to sit out the World Cup

Jul 29, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT

Kevin Love Kevin Love

I’m not sure Love is taking advice from Minnesota right now

11. Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable

Jul 29, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Introduce Byron Scott Getty Images

Lakers introduce Scott as new coach in press conference

12. Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy”

Jul 29, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT

2014 USA Basketball Men's National Team Practice Getty Images

Rose said he was disappointed but he understands ‘Melo’s decision.

13. LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video)

Jul 29, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

LeBron James LeBron James

Want to see LeBron strip down to his underwear?

14. Steve Nash: ‘I think this is my last season’

Jul 29, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT

Steve Nash, Meta World Peace Steve Nash, Meta World Peace

Lakers guard confirms he’s planning on retirement

15. PBT Extra: Is this the end of Donald Sterling as NBA owner?

Jul 29, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT

Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano

Donald Sterling isn’t going away, but he’s pretty much done as the Clippers owner now.

16. Grizzlies name general manager Chris Wallace general manager

Jul 29, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT

Yes, you read that headline correctly

17. Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on?

Jul 29, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT

DeMarcus Cousins AP

The question with Cousins is never talent, but his maturity seems to be there.

18. Report: Gary Payton assistant-coaching candidate with Lakers, Bucks

Jul 29, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT

Gary Payton #20 Gary Payton #20

Jason Kidd or Byron Scott could hire former Seattle SuperSonic

19. Kyrie Irving’s contract actually falls short of max

Jul 29, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT

Kyrie Irving Kyrie Irving

Irving wouldn’t get full 30 percent of adjusted salary cap by triggering Derrick Rose rule

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches