Pau Gasol says players saying he’s soft just talking, jealous

Feb 1, 2012, 7:02 PM EDT

Pau Gasol AP

When at the end of the Lakers win over the Clippers last week Pau Gasol reached out and rubbed Chris Paul’s head and Paul took offense, he turns at one point to Kobe and says, “he’s soft.”

Gasol has been hearing the soft thing since before he was drafted. From coaches, players (Kendrick Perkins, Amare Stoudemire), particularly Lakers fans. Stood up to Dwight Howard in the finals one year (Andrew Bynum was out) and fans are calling Gasol soft before training camp ends the next year. Heck, Pau probably hears it from his brother.

What does he say to all that? He doesn’t care, other guys are just talking He’s got rings. Other players are jealous.

Here is the quote, from 790 The Ticket in Miami with Dan Le Batard (via Sports Radio Interviews).

“Sometimes I believe it is guys just talking for the heck of talking. They got nothing better to say and other times I believe there is a little bit of jealousy at times, but I can’t really control what other people say. I can control what I do and what I have been doing throughout my career, which has been very successful and help my team beat better teams. That is as much as I can control and that’s what I focus 100% on, so the rest of the stuff is a couple of guys talking here or there. It does not affect me or interfere with my life.”

“Again it is something that it is brought up after three consecutive finals and two championships. Those thoughts kind of went away with the two championships, but again I play.”

I think there is a difference between being soft and having a finesse game. I don’t expect all my big men to play like Dwight Howard. Gasol is a finesse player, and he’s got better touch and moves around the post than any other big in the league. But he has some fight in him. He may not be demonstrative, but he’s got fight. Go back and watch those finals. He’s not soft. And a lot of guys are jealous.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson

Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Tristan Thompson Tristan Thompson

It might be because short of an insane offer of a max deal, Thompson would rather take his chances as a restricted free agent next summer.

2. Kings’ Ray McCallum sinks put-back at the buzzer to beat Lakers

Oct 25, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Ray McCallum AP

Nice job of McCallum to stay active on a play where he had already missed a shot.

3. 67RIEFNS: Isaiah Thomas vs. Sacramento Kings

Oct 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings

Will Thomas make Kings regret choosing Darren Collison over him?

4. Thunder’s Anthony Morrow to miss 4-6 weeks with knee sprain

Oct 25, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT

Grizzlies vs Thunder Grizzlies vs Thunder

Thunder will be very short-handed the first month of the regular season.

5. Player intentionally makes shot in own basket in attempt to force overtime

Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

And it was probably the smartest possible play

6. 67RIEFNS: K.J. McDaniels testing the second-round system

Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

2014 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

76ers forwent any guaranteed salary to hit free agency sooner

7. Why I am going to miss Steve Nash

Oct 24, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT

steve-nash-getty Getty Images

Nash was everything we want as a fan in an NBA player.

8. 67RIEFNS No. 34: JaVale McGee doing JaVale McGee things

Oct 24, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets Media Day Denver Nuggets Media Day

The NBA is full of talent, personality and suspense. During the offseason, It’s easy to forget how wonderful the league can be. So, I’ve assembled 67 Reasons I’m Excited For Next Season (67RIEFNS). They’ll be presented in no particular order. JaVale McGee played just five games last year after injuring his leg. How did we…

9. 67RIEFNS No. 33: Emotional swings of Roy Hibbert

Oct 24, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers Media Day 2014 Indiana Pacers Media Day 2014

Pacers center filling huge role after last season’s great start, big collapse

10. Josh Childress delivers flying elbow to opponent’s face (video)

Oct 24, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT

NBL Rd 3 - Perth v Sydney Getty Images

Childress, who played for Pelicans last season, now playing (dirty) in Australia

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches