Feb 1, 2012, 12:58 AM EDT
Pacers backup shooting guard George Hill will not travel with the team for an upcoming road trip and is out indefinitely with a chip fracture in his left ankle, the team announced after Tuesday’s game.
The injury occurred in the third quarter against the Nets, when Hill went up for a jumper and Nets center Johan Petro got too close, had his feet in Hill’s landing spot and the result was a twisted ankle.
A chip fracture, also known as an avulsion fracture, is when fragments of bone chip off the main bone (usually because the ligament or tendon is pulled off the bone and a chip comes with it).
Treatment time depends on the severity of the injury and other factors. Hill likely will get an MRI and other tests, then we may get a timeline.
Hill averages 24.7 minutes and 9.7 points per game. For a Pacers team whose strengths are depth and balance, this is a setback. Hill came over to the Pacers from the Spurs in a draft day trade last June for Kawhi Leonard.
- Eastern Conference Finals preview: Pacers vs. Heat 2
- Clippers let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 19
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 12
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 11
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 8
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery