Feb 1, 2012, 9:07 AM EDT
There are no Chicago Bulls on the list. No Los Angeles Clippers, no Boston Celtics or Golden State Warriors.
Magic General Manager Otis Smith told the Orlando Sentinel that Howard’s camp has not indicated to the Magic that the superstar center has expanded his list of preferred trade destinations beyond his original three teams: the New Jersey Nets, the Lakers and the Dallas Mavericks.
Sure, Howard and Derrick Rose have a little mutual admiration society going. Doesn’t matter. If Howard would not agree to sign a long-term deal with the Bulls they are not about to trade away all the assets needed to acquire the best center in the game. (They might not anyway, the Bulls are contenders now and if they give up too much they could take a step back even with Howard on the roster.)
There is a Howard trade rumor void because the Magic are not looking to move him right now, they are trying to convince him to stay. Which seemed a lot easier a couple of weeks ago when the Magic were playing well. But Orlando has lost four in a row and is playing without energy or execution. Normally this is where a team leader like Howard steps up and holds teammates accountable, but is anyone going to listen to a guy with one foot out the door?
Howard can opt out of his contract at the end of the season and become an unrestricted free agent.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 5
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48