Feb 1, 2012, 10:08 AM EDT
In a few weeks, the Chinese Basketball Association season will come to an end and a few quality free agents — Kenyon Martin, Wilson Chandler and J.R. Smith — will alter the balance of power in the NBA.
Martin (who left his team and is stateside but cannot sign until the season ends over there) has narrowed down his list, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
Kenyon Martin is expected to decide by this weekend which NBA team he’ll join, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. The Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Atlanta Hawks and New York Knicks have expressed interest in signing the veteran forward.
Basically a lot of teams that fancy themselves contenders. And the Knicks. By the end of the week Martin will have met with six of those squads. He wants to be on a team where he gets consistent run and a team that has a shot at a ring.
Martin comes in and instantly adds quality front line depth — he averaged 8.6 points shooting 51 percent plus grabbed 6.2 rebounds per game last season. At age 34 he is not a dominant force anymore but is a quality big you can bring in off the bench — and every team on that list could use him. And becomes a lot better with him.
Martin lives and is currently working out in Los Angeles.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31