Feb 1, 2012, 10:08 AM EDT
In a few weeks, the Chinese Basketball Association season will come to an end and a few quality free agents — Kenyon Martin, Wilson Chandler and J.R. Smith — will alter the balance of power in the NBA.
Martin (who left his team and is stateside but cannot sign until the season ends over there) has narrowed down his list, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
Kenyon Martin is expected to decide by this weekend which NBA team he’ll join, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. The Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Atlanta Hawks and New York Knicks have expressed interest in signing the veteran forward.
Basically a lot of teams that fancy themselves contenders. And the Knicks. By the end of the week Martin will have met with six of those squads. He wants to be on a team where he gets consistent run and a team that has a shot at a ring.
Martin comes in and instantly adds quality front line depth — he averaged 8.6 points shooting 51 percent plus grabbed 6.2 rebounds per game last season. At age 34 he is not a dominant force anymore but is a quality big you can bring in off the bench — and every team on that list could use him. And becomes a lot better with him.
Martin lives and is currently working out in Los Angeles.
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 1
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 0
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, out indefinitely 6
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 42
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 5
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 30
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 25