Feb 1, 2012, 10:08 AM EDT
In a few weeks, the Chinese Basketball Association season will come to an end and a few quality free agents — Kenyon Martin, Wilson Chandler and J.R. Smith — will alter the balance of power in the NBA.
Martin (who left his team and is stateside but cannot sign until the season ends over there) has narrowed down his list, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
Kenyon Martin is expected to decide by this weekend which NBA team he’ll join, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. The Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Atlanta Hawks and New York Knicks have expressed interest in signing the veteran forward.
Basically a lot of teams that fancy themselves contenders. And the Knicks. By the end of the week Martin will have met with six of those squads. He wants to be on a team where he gets consistent run and a team that has a shot at a ring.
Martin comes in and instantly adds quality front line depth — he averaged 8.6 points shooting 51 percent plus grabbed 6.2 rebounds per game last season. At age 34 he is not a dominant force anymore but is a quality big you can bring in off the bench — and every team on that list could use him. And becomes a lot better with him.
Martin lives and is currently working out in Los Angeles.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29