Feb 1, 2012, 10:08 AM EDT
In a few weeks, the Chinese Basketball Association season will come to an end and a few quality free agents — Kenyon Martin, Wilson Chandler and J.R. Smith — will alter the balance of power in the NBA.
Martin (who left his team and is stateside but cannot sign until the season ends over there) has narrowed down his list, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
Kenyon Martin is expected to decide by this weekend which NBA team he’ll join, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. The Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Atlanta Hawks and New York Knicks have expressed interest in signing the veteran forward.
Basically a lot of teams that fancy themselves contenders. And the Knicks. By the end of the week Martin will have met with six of those squads. He wants to be on a team where he gets consistent run and a team that has a shot at a ring.
Martin comes in and instantly adds quality front line depth — he averaged 8.6 points shooting 51 percent plus grabbed 6.2 rebounds per game last season. At age 34 he is not a dominant force anymore but is a quality big you can bring in off the bench — and every team on that list could use him. And becomes a lot better with him.
Martin lives and is currently working out in Los Angeles.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 14
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3