Feb 1, 2012, 9:36 AM EST
The next couple weeks are going to tell us a lot about the Lakers — they are 2-7 on the road and are now heading out for two weeks away from Staples Center so the Grammys can take over the building.
Talking about the road trip after the Lakers throttling of the Bobcats Tuesday night, center Andrew Bynum said if the Lakers don’t get wins we could see big changes. Via Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“These are big games for us coming up,” said Lakers center Andrew Bynum after putting up 20 points and 11 rebounds against the Bobcats. “We need to prove that we’re able to win, or else they’re going to start doing things.”
“They” are Lakers management. Jim Buss, Mitch Kupchak and the Lakers decision makers.
This puts a lot of Lakers fans in a bind. Many fans do want to see something big done — Oklahoma City for sure and maybe the Clippers are better right now, but undoubtedly both will be in a year or two as the Lakers continue to age. The Lakers championship window is closing, if not already shut. Lakers fans want to see a move that will force that window wide open again.
Bringing in a solid point guard or other role players might help for a year or two, but it would take a Dwight Howard level move to turn the tide and provide the Lakers a bridge to the future. Unless Lakers fans think Andrew Bynum is still that bridge (he can be, but Howard is a bigger, better bridge).
Bynum’s point is valid. Watch the Lakers the next few weeks. If they struggle on the road, it’s not just the Lakers fans who will get restless.
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 5
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 2
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 7
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 13
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)