Feb 1, 2012, 9:36 AM EST
The next couple weeks are going to tell us a lot about the Lakers — they are 2-7 on the road and are now heading out for two weeks away from Staples Center so the Grammys can take over the building.
Talking about the road trip after the Lakers throttling of the Bobcats Tuesday night, center Andrew Bynum said if the Lakers don’t get wins we could see big changes. Via Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“These are big games for us coming up,” said Lakers center Andrew Bynum after putting up 20 points and 11 rebounds against the Bobcats. “We need to prove that we’re able to win, or else they’re going to start doing things.”
“They” are Lakers management. Jim Buss, Mitch Kupchak and the Lakers decision makers.
This puts a lot of Lakers fans in a bind. Many fans do want to see something big done — Oklahoma City for sure and maybe the Clippers are better right now, but undoubtedly both will be in a year or two as the Lakers continue to age. The Lakers championship window is closing, if not already shut. Lakers fans want to see a move that will force that window wide open again.
Bringing in a solid point guard or other role players might help for a year or two, but it would take a Dwight Howard level move to turn the tide and provide the Lakers a bridge to the future. Unless Lakers fans think Andrew Bynum is still that bridge (he can be, but Howard is a bigger, better bridge).
Bynum’s point is valid. Watch the Lakers the next few weeks. If they struggle on the road, it’s not just the Lakers fans who will get restless.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 10
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14