Jan 31, 2012, 4:04 PM EDT
Ah, the mega-trade, the all-for-one and the hope that the one is the end-all.
As the Magic continue to stagger, and as it becomes clearer that Dwight Howard did not sign up for this, the only remaining issue seems to be how “all in” a trade partner might go.
And that, to a degree, brings us to the intersection of where we stood just over a year ago, on Feb. 22, 2011, when the Knicks simply had to have Carmelo Anthony, no matter the cost.
Even with then-GM Donnie Walsh urging restraint, Knicks owner James Dolan continued to pile on, to a degree resurrecting this season’s Nuggets while rendering the Knicks devoid of any tangible remaining assets.
What brings that deal up now is the notion being floated that the Bulls, a team exhibiting some of the best sustained chemistry in the league, just might be up for an anything-but-Derrick Rose package.
In a moment of careful-what-you-wish for, we offer a reminder of the price the Knicks paid:
That doesn’t mean all-in necessarily leaves a team on the outs. The contrast would be what the Clippers accomplished with the addition of Chris Paul at the cost of Eric Gordon, Al-Farouq Aminu, Chris Kaman and the Timberwolves’ unprotected upcoming lottery pick.
The point being that all-for-one can work and the Bulls, with Derrick Rose and Dwight Howard and anyone, would be as good as anything in the league this side of the Heat.
But that’s the rub, they just might be that right now, anyway.
Start peeling layers from arguably the league’s best chemistry and the Bulls wouldn’t be the Bulls, at least “these” Bulls anymore.
The Knicks went all in last season and this season appear lost because of it.
The Clippers’ story won’t be written at least until May.
But the Bulls are ahead of both those teams already, and in cashing in for Howard could cash out on a good thing already in place.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 12
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 19
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy