Jan 31, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
According to multiple sources, the Cleveland Cavaliers will start undrafted rookie Mychel Thompson tonight in place of Anthony Parker, who is out with a back injury. Mychel (not Michael) Thompson is the son of Mychal (not Michael or Mychel) Thompson, the former #1 overall pick who won two championships with the Trail Blazers over the course of his 14-year career, and the brother of Klay (not Clay) Thompson, who was selected 11th overall by the Warriors in the 2011 draft. Clearly, the Thompson family loves basketball as much as it hates conventionally spelled first names.
Mychel, who played four years at Pepperdine before going undrafted, was picked up by the Cavaliers after an impressive stint with the Erie Bayhawks of the D-League. Tuesday’s game will be Thompson’s 3rd in the NBA. When the Cavaliers met the Celtics last Sunday, they managed to pull out a win thanks to a thrilling layup by Kyrie Irving to put the Cavaliers up by one with only seconds remaining in the game.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 7
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48