Jan 31, 2012, 6:29 PM EST
According to multiple sources, the Cleveland Cavaliers will start undrafted rookie Mychel Thompson tonight in place of Anthony Parker, who is out with a back injury. Mychel (not Michael) Thompson is the son of Mychal (not Michael or Mychel) Thompson, the former #1 overall pick who won two championships with the Trail Blazers over the course of his 14-year career, and the brother of Klay (not Clay) Thompson, who was selected 11th overall by the Warriors in the 2011 draft. Clearly, the Thompson family loves basketball as much as it hates conventionally spelled first names.
Mychel, who played four years at Pepperdine before going undrafted, was picked up by the Cavaliers after an impressive stint with the Erie Bayhawks of the D-League. Tuesday’s game will be Thompson’s 3rd in the NBA. When the Cavaliers met the Celtics last Sunday, they managed to pull out a win thanks to a thrilling layup by Kyrie Irving to put the Cavaliers up by one with only seconds remaining in the game.
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 3
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)