Jan 31, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
According to multiple sources, the Cleveland Cavaliers will start undrafted rookie Mychel Thompson tonight in place of Anthony Parker, who is out with a back injury. Mychel (not Michael) Thompson is the son of Mychal (not Michael or Mychel) Thompson, the former #1 overall pick who won two championships with the Trail Blazers over the course of his 14-year career, and the brother of Klay (not Clay) Thompson, who was selected 11th overall by the Warriors in the 2011 draft. Clearly, the Thompson family loves basketball as much as it hates conventionally spelled first names.
Mychel, who played four years at Pepperdine before going undrafted, was picked up by the Cavaliers after an impressive stint with the Erie Bayhawks of the D-League. Tuesday’s game will be Thompson’s 3rd in the NBA. When the Cavaliers met the Celtics last Sunday, they managed to pull out a win thanks to a thrilling layup by Kyrie Irving to put the Cavaliers up by one with only seconds remaining in the game.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 15
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21