Jan 31, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
According to multiple sources, the Cleveland Cavaliers will start undrafted rookie Mychel Thompson tonight in place of Anthony Parker, who is out with a back injury. Mychel (not Michael) Thompson is the son of Mychal (not Michael or Mychel) Thompson, the former #1 overall pick who won two championships with the Trail Blazers over the course of his 14-year career, and the brother of Klay (not Clay) Thompson, who was selected 11th overall by the Warriors in the 2011 draft. Clearly, the Thompson family loves basketball as much as it hates conventionally spelled first names.
Mychel, who played four years at Pepperdine before going undrafted, was picked up by the Cavaliers after an impressive stint with the Erie Bayhawks of the D-League. Tuesday’s game will be Thompson’s 3rd in the NBA. When the Cavaliers met the Celtics last Sunday, they managed to pull out a win thanks to a thrilling layup by Kyrie Irving to put the Cavaliers up by one with only seconds remaining in the game.
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 1
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 8
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 21