Jan 31, 2012, 6:09 PM EDT
From the New York Post’s Marc Berman:
HOUSTON — The Iman Shumpert starting point guard experiment ended last night for the Knicks.
Toney Douglas was promoted to starting point guard last night for rookie Shumpert, but then played so poorly he got benched for third-string Jeremy Lin for the final 20 minutes of the Knicks’ 97-84 loss to the Rockets. One week ago, Lin was in the D-League rather than being wasted on the Knicks bench.
D’Antoni said the move also was made to get Shumpert, who had 11 points on 5 of 13 shooting, more time at small forward in the absence of Carmelo Anthony, who has shut it down for a couple of games to rest his assorted ailments. But D’Antoni gave an indication Douglas could stay there when Anthony gets back, pending the Baron Davis situation.
D’Antoni said that the athletic Shumpert’s best position will be at the 2 or the 3 going forward, and that one of the Knicks’ main offensive problems is that the team has been settling for three-pointers instead of setting up Tyson Chandler with looks inside.
As we all well know, the Knicks’ offense has been an unmitigated disaster this season — the team currently ranks 25th in offensive efficiency, behind the New Orleans Hornets, Carmelo Anthony was chucking through his injuries before finally taking some games off, and Amar’e Stoudemire is having easily the worst season of his career with his mid-post ISO game having abandoned him and nobody to work with him on the pick-and-roll. The Knicks now have a ton of eggs in the Baron Davis basket, but the chances of Davis returning from his back injury and turning the Knicks into a good offensive team, or even an above-average one, seem slim at this point in the season.
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 23
- Report: Vinny Del Negro to meet with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling this weekend 3
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose 28
- George Hill injury jeopardizes Pacers’ identity 1
- Memphis Grizzlies have new anthem: “We Don’t Bluff” 8
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay