Jan 31, 2012, 6:09 PM EST
From the New York Post’s Marc Berman:
HOUSTON — The Iman Shumpert starting point guard experiment ended last night for the Knicks.
Toney Douglas was promoted to starting point guard last night for rookie Shumpert, but then played so poorly he got benched for third-string Jeremy Lin for the final 20 minutes of the Knicks’ 97-84 loss to the Rockets. One week ago, Lin was in the D-League rather than being wasted on the Knicks bench.
D’Antoni said the move also was made to get Shumpert, who had 11 points on 5 of 13 shooting, more time at small forward in the absence of Carmelo Anthony, who has shut it down for a couple of games to rest his assorted ailments. But D’Antoni gave an indication Douglas could stay there when Anthony gets back, pending the Baron Davis situation.
D’Antoni said that the athletic Shumpert’s best position will be at the 2 or the 3 going forward, and that one of the Knicks’ main offensive problems is that the team has been settling for three-pointers instead of setting up Tyson Chandler with looks inside.
As we all well know, the Knicks’ offense has been an unmitigated disaster this season — the team currently ranks 25th in offensive efficiency, behind the New Orleans Hornets, Carmelo Anthony was chucking through his injuries before finally taking some games off, and Amar’e Stoudemire is having easily the worst season of his career with his mid-post ISO game having abandoned him and nobody to work with him on the pick-and-roll. The Knicks now have a ton of eggs in the Baron Davis basket, but the chances of Davis returning from his back injury and turning the Knicks into a good offensive team, or even an above-average one, seem slim at this point in the season.
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 0
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 4
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 5
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (39)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)