Jan 31, 2012, 6:09 PM EDT
From the New York Post’s Marc Berman:
HOUSTON — The Iman Shumpert starting point guard experiment ended last night for the Knicks.
Toney Douglas was promoted to starting point guard last night for rookie Shumpert, but then played so poorly he got benched for third-string Jeremy Lin for the final 20 minutes of the Knicks’ 97-84 loss to the Rockets. One week ago, Lin was in the D-League rather than being wasted on the Knicks bench.
D’Antoni said the move also was made to get Shumpert, who had 11 points on 5 of 13 shooting, more time at small forward in the absence of Carmelo Anthony, who has shut it down for a couple of games to rest his assorted ailments. But D’Antoni gave an indication Douglas could stay there when Anthony gets back, pending the Baron Davis situation.
D’Antoni said that the athletic Shumpert’s best position will be at the 2 or the 3 going forward, and that one of the Knicks’ main offensive problems is that the team has been settling for three-pointers instead of setting up Tyson Chandler with looks inside.
As we all well know, the Knicks’ offense has been an unmitigated disaster this season — the team currently ranks 25th in offensive efficiency, behind the New Orleans Hornets, Carmelo Anthony was chucking through his injuries before finally taking some games off, and Amar’e Stoudemire is having easily the worst season of his career with his mid-post ISO game having abandoned him and nobody to work with him on the pick-and-roll. The Knicks now have a ton of eggs in the Baron Davis basket, but the chances of Davis returning from his back injury and turning the Knicks into a good offensive team, or even an above-average one, seem slim at this point in the season.
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 6
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 10
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 18
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 6
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 90