Jan 31, 2012, 11:09 AM EST
Orlando has been a mess for the past couple weeks. Their offense has come apart at the seams — they scored 56 against Boston last week, just 69 against Philadelphia Monday, blew a 27 point lead in another Boston game and got blown out by the Hornets last week. They are struggling. Mightily. This is an inside-out offense based on timing and precision, and the Magic have lost both.
But don’t expect Magic GM Otis Smith to hit the panic button, however. Especially if you are thinking about a Dwight Howard trade.
Here is what Smith told the Orlando Sentinel.
“If a string of losses causes you to change your plans, then I’m in the wrong job,” Smith said Monday night, before the Magic fell 74-69 to the Philadelphia 76ers to lose their fourth consecutive game. “I think you look at your team as a whole and understand that we have to fight through whatever we have to fight through and you continue to evaluate everything top to bottom. That’s what you do. When it’s time to make a change, you make a change.”
Of course, last season the Magic suffered a string of losses (five of six) so they changed their plans and brought in Gilbert Arenas, Jason Richardson and Hedo Turkoglu, shipping out Vince Carter, Marcin Gortat and Rashard Lewis. Looking back on that move, maybe making no move is the smarter call.
Plus, you can rationalize that Jameer Nelson and Jason Richardson are out injured right now.
The bigger problem is leadership — someone needs to step up and hold people accountable in the locker room. But can Howard, with one foot out the door and flirting with other cities, really be that guy? Teammates seemed to have tuned his rants out. Someone else will need to fill that role.
Don’t expect a sudden Dwight Howard trade move either. The scenarios are out there, but as we have been saying the feeling around the league is the Magic are not going to trade him this season, but if they do it will be after the All-Star break the last weekend of February.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)