Jan 31, 2012, 7:59 PM EST
This is the cycle of things. First comes the report yesterday that the Kings — or at least part of the Kings management — has started to look at potential replacements for general manager Geoff Petrie.
Now, comes the routine denial. From co-owner Joe Maloof via the Sacramento Bee.
“No, this is not true,” Maloof texted The Bee. “I had heard about (the rumor). We will be fine. We have had the toughest schedule in the league by far.”
First, of course he said that. What else is Maloof going to say? Whether or not the report about Petrie is true Maloof is going to give his GM a vote of confidence in a public forum. To think that what the owner tells a paper in a text message is “forceful” or unvarnished truth is to be truly naïve.
Second, the Kings should be thinking about a replacement. Petrie had some good years there but he hasn’t in a while. The Kings are not very good but are very mismatched, and it is Petrie who brought in the players and hired a succession of bad coaches.
Third, the condescending tone from the Bee about the blog Sactown Royalty (where the first report came from) is really unnecessary. The guy who runs Sactown (Tom Ziller) is from a newspaper background and isn’t a sensationalist. Fact is, the analysis of the Kings has been better at Sactown than it has been in the Bee for years. There’s a reason everybody reads it.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 2
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 27
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (57)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)