Jan 31, 2012, 3:20 AM EDT
“It happens,” Perkins said in the corner of the Thunder locker room. “A the end of the day if you’re a shot blocker, you’re going to get dunked on. It was a great play that he made. Obviously I wish I wasn’t in it, but it was a great play that he made.”
It all happened so fast, neither Perkins nor Griffin said they were sure how it came together.
“It’s the timing of the play, it’s the timing of when I got the pass, and also the late rotation,” Griffin said. “If all that comes together at the right time, then those thins happen. It’s not like I caught the ball and thought ‘okay, let’s go make something happen.’ It just came together.”
So how did he know it was huge?
“(D’Andre Jordan’s) reaction is always my gauge on what the dunk was like,” Griffin said.”I think that time he screamed, grabbed me and bear hugged me. I figured he thought it was cool.”
Perkins said he was just trying to protect the rim.
“I didn’t know what happened. I just knew I was trying to get to the rotation,” Perkins said, adding it was a clean dunk, not a foul by Griffin (as some had suggested on twitter). “Our defensive coverage had broke down and that’s what it was.”
What it was is the dunk of the year. And Perkins is going to be seeing himself on highlight packages for a long time.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49