Kendrick Perkins on Blake Griffin dunk: “It happens.”

Jan 31, 2012, 3:20 AM EDT

For a guy who was all over YouTube and twitter as the latest victim of a monster Blake Griffin dunk, Kendrick Perkins was philosophical after the game.

“It happens,” Perkins said in the corner of the Thunder locker room. “A the end of the day if you’re a shot blocker, you’re going to get dunked on. It was a great play that he made. Obviously I wish I wasn’t in it, but it was a great play that he made.”

It all happened so fast, neither Perkins nor Griffin said they were sure how it came together.

“It’s the timing of the play, it’s the timing of when I got the pass, and also the late rotation,” Griffin said. “If all that comes together at the right time, then those thins happen. It’s not like I caught the ball and thought ‘okay, let’s go make something happen.’ It just came together.”

So how did he know it was huge?

“(D’Andre Jordan’s) reaction is always my gauge on what the dunk was like,” Griffin said.”I think that time he screamed, grabbed me and bear hugged me. I figured he thought it was cool.”

Perkins said he was just trying to protect the rim.

“I didn’t know what happened. I just knew I was trying to get to the rotation,” Perkins said, adding it was a clean dunk, not a foul by Griffin (as some had suggested on twitter). “Our defensive coverage had broke down and that’s what it was.”

What it was is the dunk of the year. And Perkins is going to be seeing himself on highlight packages for a long time.

1. goforthanddie - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:58 AM

It happens, and hopefully will happen for years.

2. 00maltliquor - Jan 31, 2012 at 4:53 AM

Damn, Perk got sh!tted on!

3. 420hippy - Jan 31, 2012 at 5:10 AM

things*

4. md23rewlz - Jan 31, 2012 at 5:13 AM

“It happens.”- The Mayan Indians after their entire race was obliterated by European smallpox

5. nightrain42 - Jan 31, 2012 at 6:43 AM

If u hve played ball, u hve befn dunked on, or been shook out of ur jock strap. Get over it.

6. tcclark - Jan 31, 2012 at 7:15 AM

When did Kendrick Perkins become a “shot blocker?”

• qdog112 - Jan 31, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Not last night.

• ballou0254 - Jan 31, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Seeing as how he’s averaged a block and a half per game for his entire career, I would say for about ten years now.

• tcclark - Jan 31, 2012 at 9:31 AM

27th in the NBA in blocks per game which is a product of the minutes he’s playing considering he’s 36th in blocks per 48 minutes. He can block a shot, but he isn’t a “shot blocker.”

Perkins is a good on the ball defender but i could give you at least 25 better shot blockers than perk. His block a game is a product of sitting in the lane 27 minutes a night.

• tcclark - Jan 31, 2012 at 9:20 AM

What’s with all the thumbs down? Kendrick Perkins is nothing more than a big body who can guard talented big bodies. He has some shot blocking ability but is far from a “shot blocker.” Look at the numbers

Shot blocking leaders

15. Elton Brand – 1.57
      20. Pau Gasol – 1.29
      21. Kevin Durant – 1.25
      25. Omer Asik – 1.22 (16.3 minutes per game too)
      26. Greg Stiemsma – 1.18 (8.6 minutes)
      27. Kendrick Perkins – 1.15
      30. Timofy Mozgov – 1.11
      36. John Wall – 1.00
      38. Rodrigue Beaubois – 0.95

7. skins80 - Jan 31, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Most overrated dunk ok all-time. Dude didn’t even grab the rim. Shawn Kemp has way better in game dunks

• cinnalocks - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I agree, most of the comments are by people who have not seen anything that did not happen in the last four years. The dunk, the Clippers and Blake are all over hyped. Let’s see where they rank in May,when the crap starts to hit the fan. Perkins should have knocked him down, he did not protect the paint and paid the price. But as far as the dunk, it was okay. EVERYTHING today is over hyped.

8. nwodawg - Jan 31, 2012 at 8:38 AM

This was more of a Gronk spike than a “dunk”. Great play, but since when does a finger grazing the rim count as a dunk?

• Kurt Helin - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:33 PM

The definition of a dunk is to jump above the rim and throw the ball in the hoop. How is that not exactly what he did?

Perkins called it a dunk, that’s good enough for me.

• cinnalocks - Jan 31, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Curt that definition of a dunk is by one who has never dunked! I true dunk as defined by those who play the game and have acheived the feat on the court is…..putting your hand in the rim as you shove or throw the ball in the basket with force and style. That was a questionable dunk at best.

• cinnalocks - Jan 31, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Besides Perkins never saw what happened he was too busy ducking and getting out of the way.

• nwodawg - Jan 31, 2012 at 4:11 PM

@ Kurt, What else is Perkins going to do, deny it?

• progress2011 - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Cinnalocks….you sound like an ole mad laker fan ! Mad cause if the playoffs started today, the fakers would not make it. ahahahaha

Plus your ebonic definition of a dunk is factually and technically wrong. Dictionary.com describes a dunk/ dunk shot as:

a shot in which a player near the basket jumps with the ball and attempts to thrust it through the basket with one hand or both hands held above the rim.

Therefore, based on one of the most well used dictionary sources, since Blake was a foot above the rim and threw the ball down ( which also means to thrust ) through the basket with one hand…according to the dictionary and not ebonics ….It Was A Dunk.

• tcclark - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Why do you think everyone is a Laker fan? Other fans have opinions too

9. bleed4philly - Jan 31, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Orphan Annie is a beast

10. noirad - Jan 31, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Blake Griffin problems. Dunking on people.

11. zer0sand0nes - Jan 31, 2012 at 9:38 AM

@tcclark | Jan 31, 2012, 7:15 AM EST
    When did Kendrick Perkins become a “shot blocker?”
    ——————

My thoughts exactly (shoulda punctuated it with a !? Or ?! – lol)
    Love that you tossed in a block of stats to back your opinion.

12. reimskyllet9232 - Jan 31, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Perk is just a tough guy

13. zer0sand0nes - Jan 31, 2012 at 9:42 AM

The title of a Mos Def song sums that “spike” up aptly: Got.
    Check the lyrics it’ll be even more appropriate.

14. acdc363 - Jan 31, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I couldn’t agree more tcclark. That line confused me haha but I love the way blake measures the coolness of his dunks I thought that was hilarious.

15. pistolpete0903 - Feb 1, 2012 at 1:44 AM

reminds me of the Howard ‘Superman’ dunk at the All-star.
    KP a shot-blocker!!! Yea and I am the President.
    Having said that, the dunk was pretty cool…..giv props to Blake for his flying ability

16. cgcrayton44 - Feb 1, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Dear progress2011 , Ebonics has nothing to do with a “dictionary” definition of what a dunk is . I agree with some of the others who have left post, you are obviousley are not a dunker . By your use of the “definiton” you would be a dunker on a Nerf hoop because you “thrust” the ball thru the rim with your hands . True ballers know what a dunk is without referring to a dictionary for help ! For that matter I’m sure Darrel Dawkins, Sean Kemp, or Dr. J never ran to the book case to find out if they had dunked . Get over your self son , he followed thru and tossed the ball into the rim . It did look good though and Perkins definitely got sh*tted on (theres some Ebonics for your @ss) !

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches